Some Cool Big Diesels Firing Up

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 77z28327, Aug 16, 2013.

1. 77z28327

77z28327 Veteran Member

2. Da_Raabi

Da_Raabi Veteran Member

So apparently the idea of a "roller rocker" has been around for quite some time! The WW1 Engine was sweet!

3. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

Love Diesels! I used to work for Deutz USA and we had a couple of antiques in the shop. Only got fired up every year or so. We still had parts in stock for them (late 1800s vintage)...

:)

4. bracketracer-78

bracketracer-78 Veteran Member

We have old Otto engine in running condition. The brothers drag it out once a year to run it. I actually had a call today for a C/P kit for a F2L812. Germany had good stock on them, but none stateside. A few years ago I had a guy show up at my front counter looking for parts for a 1954 vintage F1L612. He about fell over when he asked for a V/C gasket and I walked right back to the shelf without looking it up in the computer and got it for him. It's the same as the 712, 812, and 912 series. We still have the old parts books.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  5. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

I see you're in Pa. Know Stauffer Diesel in Ephrata(IIRC)? I was the Warranty Engineer here in Atlanta. 8 years of looking at the crap people would try to pass off as factory defects from all over the USA.

Engines with holes in the block and full of fresh oil up to the level of the hole. WITH a new (dry) oil filter. Others with broken cranks that had been welded up and reground wrong (few US shops are set up for METRIC cranks). "Oh, that engine has NEVER been into!" :rolleyes:

The 413 that was hydraulic-locked and bent a con rod in half. Found a dead fish in the "V" between the cylinders. Further investigation revealed it was in a machine at a rock quarry that flooded. They tried to start the thing and drive it out! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

More spun rod bearings than I could count (low oil). Lifted heads from Ether. Dusted. You name it...

In 8 years I could count the factory defects on one hand and not run out of fingers...

;)

6. bracketracer-78

I'm one of the parts guys at Stauffers.

7. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

Ah! Small world ain't it? I left Deutz in '91. You guys still shaving fins off cylinders for pulling?

;)

8. bracketracer-78

They sold the tractors off years ago. Over the last 3 years or so they starter buying as many old Deutz tractors as they could. We now have about 15 - 20 tractors sitting around the shop. Some are in running condition, but most if them are junk. I started at Stauffers back in 1994.