Some engineers…..idiots.

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
Can somebody explain the logic of using a torx head bolt in place of a hex head in the door jam though? I understand assembly line practices and appearance and even cost considerations but dang man I can’t wrap my head around why not a hex head bolt in a tight space like that

Phil G

Veteran Member
May 3, 2004
Tucker, GA, USA
A few years ago the A/C diverter actuator in my '05 Grand Prix failed. Seems the A/C controller kept commanding it to move even though it was at the end of its travel. Burned out the actuator. Cold air on passenger side, heat on the driver's (dual zone). In August of course! Dug out the Helm manual and got a few pages in to it and said to myself: "I'm not doing THIS one"!

So, to the dealership. Turns out the actuator is built into the A/C control unit and the whole thing had to be replaced. The techs had to take out everything from the front seats and console to the firewall to swap it! Wish I had taken pics! Since they were going to keep it for a while, I rented a Challenger. Just for giggles.

They had trouble getting the part. THEN when they did it smoked during programming! Took a while to get ANOTHER one... So, they decided to give me a "Courtesy Car" to drive, and I turned in the Challenger. Little Buick Encore. Not my style but I never turn down a freebie! Plenty peppy. I thought it was a V6, but when I got it home and looked under the hood it was a NA 4-cyl! Am I the only one that looks under the hood of a rental?

So, after a week I got the GP back ($1500.00 bill, out of warranty). I went all over the inside and couldn't find any evidence the car had ever been touched! I kept the old A/C controller (I keep as many parts as they'll let me have). Kept the HUD when IT failed too! THAT I can fix for a spare! Tiny piece that holds the mirror spring broke, one day I'll fix it. Glue a washer to the thing where the spring goes with JB weld or Epoxy and it should be good to go if I ever need it.

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
We just had to take off the sill plates, B pillar trim and the Rt front seat belt tentioner just to get to the hinge bolts for the rear door to adjust it on an F150. They decided to put the hinge bolts from the inside instead of having access to them from the outside.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
I imagine torx vs hex is up to the fastener engineer,

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
I just wish I could find some larger torx bits that don't shatter like glass. Especially on those seat belt bolts.

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
I imagine torx vs hex is up to the fastener engineer,

Yes that’s all fine and dandy BUT there is not a torx wrench that I’m aware of, and when you can’t gain access to a torx straight on but a hex you can use either a wrench or straight on with a socket the hex still wins. The fastener guy at ford thus still needs a kick in the nards.

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
These new cars are not designed for you to work on it them. They are designed for quick assembly. Unless you keep a car forever, you don’t need to work on it. I’ll never have a primary car older than a few years. Not worth it…

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
my primary is a 18 with 32, wife's is a 20 with 19. i worked for new car dealers and saw the nightmares also worked at an oem manufacturer engineering facility16 years. ye, they do not want you working on it. newer vehicles have way more content that people feel they need and expect so it gets crammed in that tight little package. o and by the way parts are becoming a lot harder to get for new replacement on a lot of brands especially factory collision parts.