Some engineers…..idiots.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
These new cars are not designed for you to work on it them. They are designed for quick assembly. Unless you keep a car forever, you don’t need to work on it. I’ll never have a primary car older than a few years. Not worth it…
I was in this mode too for the last ten years or so. Leasing new GM suvs. Last was a Tahoe and when the lease was up there wasn't anything anywhere to be had and the prices for those things went crazy. With under 20K miles on it we bought it out of lease and got an extended GM warranty. Hoping for the best

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
10 lbs of stuff in a 3 lb bag. Yup makes it a real PITA when you gotta go deep on one. BUT there are also MANY tools out there specifically designed to help you do it. Yeah the ole 40 PC socket set ain't going to get you far today but a few specialties WILL certainly make your life easier.

danbrennan

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 13, 1999
Brighton, MI
I think a lot of the techs make they're own special tools, too. A friend of mine owned an auto repair shop for over 40 years, and that's what he told me. I've welded up a couple myself, just for my garage work.

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
I think a lot of the techs make they're own special tools, too. A friend of mine owned an auto repair shop for over 40 years, and that's what he told me. I've welded up a couple myself, just for my garage work.

Oh I’ve made my share of “specialty”tools. I can’t imagine life without my welder. And an assortment of lesser expensive stuff so I don’t have to modify my good or expensive tools.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Heater core went on my wife’s ‘12 Ford Edge. So I get the parts and get after it.

Had to remove the intake manifolds to get to the heater hoses. Oh joy.
Get all that wrapped up and hoses removed from old core and on to the interior we go. Seats are out to get the center console’s sides off so you can get at the attaching bolts. I swear the shift lever and the top cover were installed by a ghost. The knob is held on by 2 screws, and you have a 2” opening to work with. The wires are tight and there’s a lot of them it’s gotta have all those stupid leds to illuminate the cup holders….
So I get that out and you have to take the steering wheel out, and the dash! What the hell??!!
But wait there’s more! I have to take the wipers off to get the cowl off to gain access to the upper dash bolts.

And that’s where I’m stopping for the night. I’m tired and cold and P Off.
And before I break the windshield pulling the wiper arms that won’t budge I’m calling it quits. I’d swear the damn thing was designed by the devils puzzle master.

There is no shortage of engineers and designers that should be taken out back and beaten.
And people wonder why I walked away from the auto industry after 20 years of fixing stupid designed crap.