Someone flunked lug nut class

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Dave Nelson, Apr 17, 2020.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

2. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Yes, large Meritor axle housings like a 71163 have a spindle with a hub assembly with inner and outer bearings, inner spindle nut, lock washer, outer tab washer, and outer spindle nut. If it’s a drum brake set up, it has outer floating drum, inner dual held on with lug studs and outer dual held on with lug nuts. The axle fits through the housing into a side gear with the axle shaft flange bolted to the hub. If you took the axle shaft out, the hub, drum, and wheels are still attached. You just lose power. I have seen the outer spindle of the axle housing fail — more than once. Sometimes greasable hub bearings (opposed to oil bath) fail due to lack of lubrication. We (my work) tell customers to regrease hub bearings every 30k miles.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    budro6968 likes this.
  3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

DOT rules state that they are supposed to check that before you get on the road ,I have seen those yellow indicator strips mostly on transit buses and garbage trucks .To try to make them idiot proof . But it may also be broken axle hub as well. I have seen all sorts of things happen in the 30 plus years of driving truck.

4. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

no sh!t, that is what full floating means.

5. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

hub bearings are lubricated via the gear lube.

6. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Most are but not all. Meritor specs out both oil or grease rear hubs.

17A8E8A2-F3D5-4F30-A228-DB57A2F415D4.png

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

learned a similar lesson a couple years back with my f150. I pulled the front diff out (4 wd) and axles to do a gear swap. Did not realize the hub bearings were NOT dual taper rollers. So here i am driving around NO front diff NO front axles for a couple weeks....NO PROBLEM ..no shimmys no nothing!...cool.
    Then i get 2 of my boys from school and notice a little squeak squeak...while driving about 25 mph... HMMMM...sounds like brakes. continue driving home happen to stop in a parking lot and the brakes felt really wierd!!!!! 4 miles from house getting up to speed i feel a little shimmy shimmy... I pull off the road and decide to jack up the front..as soon as i did i saw the pass WHEEL MOVE!:eek: then i grabbed it and it was NOT really attached to the truck:eek:. Un jack it..tell boys "now we walk". a fellow SCOUTING friend saw us and gave us a ride to the house...I called a wrecker to get the truck, ordered hub for wife to pick up....1.5 hrs later I had disassembled the axles and reassembled the truck...installed axle stubs and torqued to XXX spec...drove on!
    The ONLY thing keeping the front wheel assembly ON was the brake caliper:eek: I got LUCKY lucky lucky. First time i had ever seen a HUB bearing that required the stub to be installed to actually stay TOGETHER!!! can't imagine wtf would have been if the entire front wheel were to have broke the caliper???...cause NOW YOU GOT NO hydraulics...or steering!!!

8. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Im pretty sure the drum is still attached, and it would have to be for the wheels to still be connected to one another. either the spindle snapped, or the nuts backed out. then i would have to say once the hub came off the spindle, it snapped the axle. The axle should (or at least part of it) should be with the wheels in theory.

GoldenOne7710 and roeville like this.
  9. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Yep. The fact those wheels are still together says this is a much bigger issue than lug nuts.

Zstar likes this.
  10. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

This is my floater axle on my race car. The hub broke when making a right turn through a banked 100 mph 180 degree corner. When I went into the next left corner I got to watch my tire flying by me

Attached Files: