Someone tell me about "624" heads??

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by probizjudi, Dec 7, 2006.

1. probizjudi

probizjudi Veteran Member

Not sure if Im stating this right, but is there such a thing as 624 heads and if so, can someone tell me some info about them? Do I know what Im talking about, duh? Just trying to find out, thx!!

2. tonys

tonys Member

If your referring to the last 3 digits of the heads this is all I could find on Mortec.

462624.....75-86...350/400......76cc chamber, 1.72/1.5, 1.94/1.5 or 2.02/1.6 valves

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Tony

3. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i got three sets and they are all from trucks, they make decent torque power but they suck still. They are D chamber also.
    I had a set rebuilt then after rebuilding them i went with the vortec heads. better flow, better chambers, after modifying the springs you can run a higher lift cam. and they are cheap compare to other aftermarket heads. but the cost of the new vortec style intake could bust the budget, and the the rocker arms need to self aligning style. unless you run guideplates then you can run non self aligning.

What your plan with those heads anyway?? the only thing i am going to do with the 624 heads is put them on a mild engine, that i don't care if it makes alot of power.

4. probizjudi

probizjudi Veteran Member

Well I thought we had GM double humps but a mechanic who is doing some finishing touches on the car said they were not double hump and "looked like" 624's but he wasnt sure unless he could check the casting nbr.

He said they were a little better than double humps.

They are on a 406 with a mild cam. More of a "cruisin' " car not a drag car. If ya need more info, let me know & will try to post it.

Thx for your help!

5. 79camaro2001

i wouldn't say 624 heads are better then double hump heads. but it depends on what's been done to it.

6. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

624s are the worst of the worst... not only are they small valve, low compression smog heads with a detonation-prone chamber design, they are also the VERY crack prone 'light weight' castings.

7. rustbucket79

rustbucket79 Veteran Member

I will agree that they were crack prone, and most often seen with 1.72 valves on pickups, but they were also standard fair on our Camaros during their production run. They were also on the L-82 Corvette engine with 2.02/1.60 valves and screw in studs and guideplates. Nonetheless, still about the least desireable head, but it terms of performance really no worse than any other GM smogger heads with comparable valve sizes.

8. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep. These are what came off my motor when I put the trick flows on. Lightweight casting. 76cc, 1.94s in my car.

Not worth paying for, IMO.

9. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The 624 is a light-weight version of the 882, so as Adam and Rust mentioned, basically a crack-prone casting from the smogger era and about the worst of the worst flow-wise and durability-wise.

10. 79camaro2001

hence why i didn't run them, but they are sitting on my shelf in a bag covered in oil, and sealed in a box. That way i can run them later on down the road on a low budget engine.