Son picked up a 79z28 4 spd

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Mrwalleyeman, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Mrwalleyeman

Mrwalleyeman New Member

My 16yr old son just picked up a 1979 Z28 for dirt cheap. The car is a diamond in the rough. the body is straight no rust that I saw and no dents. The paint is beyond rough, it is mostly faded and will defiantly need a paint job in the very near future. The interior is also a little on the rough side but still usable. We figured out that is gonna need a tune up and some fresh gas as it has been sitting for 14 yrs. It will need lots of other work. So I look forward to learning more with my son from you guys here.

So now a short history about this particular Z28. I purchased the car from the original owner in 1994 after he parked it when the fuel pump went out in it as he didn't want to fix it. Over a period of 6 months he asked me several times if I wanted to buy it. He started out at like $1800 over the 6 months he dropped the price several times until he got to $500. I said ok I will buy it. so fixed fuel pump, and changed the oil and did some other things. I did some other repairs over the years when I could as time and money was short. I then purchased a different car and kept the Z28 for while and drove it once in a while. Some thing went to crap and i need money for some other things and was forced to sell the car in 2005(did not want to But had to) so i sold the car cheap to my father in-law, who then only drove it about 30 miles then parked it, and there it sat inside of an airplane hanger for the last 14 years.

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hope it’s a 4 speed.

3. Mrwalleyeman

Mrwalleyeman New Member

Yes it is a 4 speed

4. Crazy4camaro

Crazy4camaro Veteran Member

Really, no pics after reading all that. Good luck with the car...

budro6968 likes this.
  5. Mrwalleyeman

Mrwalleyeman New Member

I will post some pics when we get the car home, its in my father in-laws airplane hanger about 50 miles away. My son and I are going to go do some work on it Friday to make sure it is safe to drive. And also to teach him how to drive a manual.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  6. Crazy4camaro

Crazy4camaro Veteran Member

Sounds good

7. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Be neat to have an aircraft hanger to store stuff in. Yep, need pictures. Good to know the history, no big surprises hopefully.

8. Mrwalleyeman

Mrwalleyeman New Member

So we got the Z home today. Like I said paints a little rough but there is a little bit of surface rust. So I tried to just upload the pics but this site doesn't like Apples .HEIC extension for picture files, got pics to upload from phone, thanks to 79RedZ for the heads up.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  9. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Looks like a really solid car to start with.

Do you have apple phones? I have an Iphone and it's really easy to upload pictures from that.

10. Mrwalleyeman

Mrwalleyeman New Member

I do have an iPhone. What I did was airdropped them to my MacBook then tried to post them. I did get them to upload directly from my phone. Thanks 79RedZ.