Son picked up a 79z28 4 spd

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Mrwalleyeman, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Mrwalleyeman

Mrwalleyeman New Member

So after getting it home on its 50 mile drive home, my son and I found a few things that need to be addressed asap. The clutch was fairly stiff to push and also seemed a little spongy, the steering wheel needs to be tightened because it wobbles I don't remember it doing that before but has been 14 years. Motor ran pretty dang good even after it sat, we put new spark plugs in and did some adjusting on the carb we will probably do a rebuild on it or put a new one in. Also we need to figure out why the heater doesn't work. It did have air conditioning at some point but it was taken out because it didn't work and the compressor was growling like crazy.

2. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Welcome to the madness. Lots of knowledge here. Looks like a fun project. Decent shape. Always easier without the rust issues

3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to the forum. Like f-body said, there's a lot of info here to help you on your car. This will be a great father-son project. I bet no one at his school has one. He'll be the talk of his high school.

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Veteran Member

Congrats. I have one in the same paint scheme except its an auto. Bought it off an original owner who listed it on this site about 9 years ago.
    IMG_1701.JPG IMG_1710.JPG Camaro 8.jpg

tom3, Mrwalleyeman and f-body freak like this.
  5. Mrwalleyeman

Mrwalleyeman New Member

Jonesy that looks awesome, there's one for sale at a car lot where I live that is almost the exact same car the only difference is the wheels. also want to say thanks for the replies to everyone.

My son and I did some work on it the last few days and some driving. We put a new thermostat in, also found out that the windshield washer pump did not work so replaced that. The outside door handle were broken so we ordered some new ones. So we haven't done anything major as of yet but when we do some interior and exterior we will post pics along the way.

I guess I do have one question what's the best wheel cleaner and best way to get rid of the oxidation between the fins or whatever they are called for the turbine wheels, and are they an aluminum or some other metal.

6. manicmechanic

manicmechanic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What did you replace it with as mine is acting up and need to look for a new one.
    Thanks

7. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member Gold Member

Congrats to you and your son. My first new car was a 1979 Z28. Enjoy !!

8. Mrwalleyeman

Mrwalleyeman New Member

We just bought one at ORiellys auto parts. It was like $30 maybe less if I remember correctly, and was fairly easy to do.

But its been a little while since I have posted and we really haven't done a whole lot to the car. we did put new seat covers, and a steering wheel cover along with a new stereo, but that's about it. We will soon be doing the clutch but just haven't had a lot of time. to do any major projects on it. I will say that my son has gotten better driving the 4 speed, its not near as jerky as it was when he first started driving it. but I will try to update as we go along when we really start doing things to it.

9. manicmechanic

manicmechanic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes I looked at one from them, It's now an electric pump hidden under the cover of the assembly. Problem is the metal cover doesn't cover the whole wiper assembly so I took it back. I rebuilt mine with a new pump assembly I got on Ebay.