Sorry, more bad news re: gasoline/diesel

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Rick WI, May 13, 2008.

1. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Sorry to post more bad news as it relates to fueling our cars but GET READY, if you drive a diesel, to see SIGNIFICANT increases at the pump the next couple of days. Gasoline is also going up, although I think the increases in diesel will take folks breath away more than gasoline.

There are tons of technical and trading factors at work here that I won't go into but suffice to say, gasoline is not a great profit for refiners but diesel is. So much so that we are exporting diesel and that's really creating havoc as diesel is also heating oil and, well, if you heat with heating oil you know, it's daffy expensive and will be more daffy expensive next year the way things look. Gasoline inventories will likely suffer over the coming weeks and if demand stays strong, well, maybe gasoline will be a decent profit for refiners in the near future....re:much higher pump pricing.

Ultra Low Sulfur requirements in Euro, and here for that matter, are causing the squeeze.

A couple more days of Futures trading like today and diesel will hit $5.00 by next week, you can quote me on that. That will certainly piss off the truckers, that's for sure. I suspect, unless they are stupid, most farmers have locked in their fuel for tractors and such. Otherwise they will be hurting as well. Planting as just begun this week here in WI.

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Who wants to go take a cruise in their big pick up trucks now?? :D

I was waiting for the European thing to hit us.....wasn't sure if it would or not....figures.
    Hey, Rick, what's up with Diesel only being $2 a gallon right across the border in Mexico
    if this is such a problem ???

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/04/23/dnt.az.buying.diesel.mexico.ktvk

http://pressblog.org/npc/SteveOHearn/2008/04/24/gasoline-in-mexico-half-americas-price/

How is it possible for them to have diesel exactly 1/2 of what we pay here ???

If I had to guess, it might be because you need a tanker truck with a hazmat license and that presents
    ALL KINDS of hoops to jump through and permits.......of course. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  3. P302Stang

P302Stang Veteran Member

all i can say is thank god work supplies me with a vehicle and fuel and my wife drives a geo.

4. pete0331

pete0331 Veteran Member

Looks like I won't be in a rush to get the Camaro put back together.

5. MIDNIGHTBLUE

MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

Like I said before, when the truckers in this country decide enough is enough and start a work slow down followed by a hardcore nationwide two week strike, things will change. When the truckers strike, the Longshoremen will follow and nothing will be off loaded at the ports and nothing will be delivered.

A real, kick in the nuts strike would bring this country to a screeching halt. Only then will people take notice and and realize how out of hand things are. I dont usually support strikes but there is a time and a place for everything.

Aces, what you missed in regards to your post is, Mexican trucks driving into our country on $2 fuel, while our guys are struggling a $4+ a gallon. The Mexican trucks are using the cheaper fuel and cheap drivers to their economic advantage.

Anyone remember how the White house supported the Mexican trucks/truckers coming into the states? Hmmm, funny how things tend to unfold.

6. Jim Stokkeland

Jim Stokkeland Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I think I might hafta park the behemoth till Carlisle...

7. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2008/05/reliefbate.html

http://www.math.ucr.edu/ftm/bajaPages/Recent.Prices.html

[​IMG]

Where's Jimmy Hoffa when you need him. We need to get the BIG Unions to mobilize on this IMHO.
    We need Hoffa to shut things down. Someone go dig him up.

I wonder how big the Teamsters are nowadays anyways......
    1.4 million....just found it. http://www.teamsters.org/

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  8. rgearhead

rgearhead Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

rick last friday local speed way gas station by me ,,,diesel was $4,50 saturday same station diesel $4,75 .....OUCH.............

9. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

...can I still get racefuel?

10. eightyZ28

eightyZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Stock up on all essentials and food, 'cause trucking cost will make those go even higher....

I was watching a news show one morning last week and they were saying that these things would probably be rationed in the near future....

Also, something about electric bills doubling. They were saying that some people have already had to have their electricity turned off because they couldn't afford the bill.

We'll see...can't believe everything they say on tv.