Sound system finally powered. NO SOUND.

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Shields, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

Front speakers, rear speakers, subs all hooked up, amps light up, no protect mode lights are on. RCAs hooked up, the only sound is coming off the tweeters and they're hooked to the deck, other speakers hooked up to the amps. What's the problem?? I've got a pioneer deck

2. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

UPDATE.

The amp was going into protect mode because of low voltage. Had a different car charging it while i was playing music, but the amp will shut down if I go past 40, disconnected the 6x9s and left the dual 4" speakers on it and it goes to full volume. 6x9s pulling too much power?

3. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

All four cab speakers AND your subs are on the same amp?

If so, do you have a specific seperate amp output or are you bridging across the cab terminals? If youre bridging, your amp may not be handling the load.

RCAs are plugged into stereo and amp?

Is your remote lead hooked up <-------- it is typically a blue wire from the back of your stereo.

4. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

I have two amps, the monoblock is playing perfectly. I have two 6x9s and two 4" speakers from the 4 channel. Just did a test and both the 6x9 speakers are at 4 ohms, however if I touch the right 6x9 to the terminals it will shut the amp down, but the left 6x9 won't, the left one will play fine

5. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

Check to make sure the tinsel leads on the right 6x9 are not touching the basket. Even if they're (or one of them is) close, it can cause an arc and ground out to the car (if they're mounted metal to metal in the back).

Same with the wires going to the tweeter (if they're coaxials). If they're close to the grill the same thing can happen.

That's the messed up part about coaxials, too. If the tweeter is blown you'll never know it using a DC ohm meter. The capacitor they use to filter out low frequencies will not show a drop in resistance when checking resistance at the regular terminals.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  6. 75Camaro4x4

75Camaro4x4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So lets say, at volume 35 on the head unit, you can play music when connected to another car. Is music coming from your 6x9's at that point?

7. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

At 35 volume both 6x9s will play fine but if I crank it up anymore the amp shuts down

8. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

This is also with the level all the way down, (there's no gain knob) all the knobs are at minimum; crossover is on hpf, RCAs are brand new and working. I Have the old pair of 6x9 speakers still and I'll hook those up in the trunk and if they miraculously work I know it's the other speakers. If they don't work, I gotta go yell at the shop who sold me this junk amp that's seen less than 1 minute of sound

9. 75Camaro4x4

75Camaro4x4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Level/gain are the same thing.

It does sound like a tinsel lead issue.

Also, you mentioned on your pioneer deck "turning it all the way up". If you mean turning the volume knob, or button, till it cannot go up any further, I wouldnt recomend that. For instance, if your max volume is 65, I wouldnt turn it up past 40 and set your level to match. if you are unsure on how to set level/gains, google "How to set gains with a DMM"

10. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

You're probably right, I powered my old 6x9s on them and they were fine. Ive narrowed it down to the speakers themselves. I'll have my buddy give me a hand with setting the gain. Thanks everybody for pitching in!