Speakers

Renny

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 26, 2011
shickshinny,pa
Hey Guys Got A Question On My Package Tray For Mounting A Pair Of 6x9 Speakers! Did They Come With Grills In Them Or Was The Tray Perferated From The Factory? And If Theyget Grills Where Can I Buy A Set? There For A 70 Z28 Thanks In Advance. Renny PS LOOKING FOR THE ORIGINAL ONES IF POSSIBLE

Last edited:

twozs

Veteran Member
Aug 5, 1999
hopewell jct ny
early second gens had a speaker grill for the rear tray . that being said , camaros didn't have a second rear speaker untill 75 when they came with a factory stereo radio . the holes were punched out of all the metal package trays for the firebird did have a stereo radio from 70 on . camaro radios were all mono until 75 ( it may be 74 but i'm pretty sure it was 75 ) . the board cover was only punched out for a right speaker ( and defroster if added ) . factory speaker covers come up on ebay and i think that someone ( one of the bigger suppliers ) sells them also . as there is no left or right just buy 2 . it was the early 70s and a radio was optional in a camaro .

Last edited:

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Of course... the 70 grills were a little different from the ones you usually find available.

Found this pic in a site search:
SpeakerCovers.jpg

I think the later ones look good and not many people would ever notice the difference.

Note: If you're putting aftermarket speakers in the rear deck, you need to watch the design so the factory style grill doesn't contact anything.
They may require a spacer beneath the deck.

70 Proof

Veteran Member
Sep 28, 2014
Southern Utah
From what I learned earlier this year on this forum: Early 2nd gens only came with one rear speaker (when ordered) mounted on the left side of the package tray. Supposedly it wasn't placed on the rt side due to possible interference with the spare tire. The correct speaker grill for 70 was rectangular as pictured in Twisted's post (no curved ends). It was painted to match the color of the interior. The screw heads were covered.
If you're going the duel rear speaker route you might as well not stress over finding the absolutely correct 70 rear grills and just go with something relatively close in appearance. Few will know.

70 Proof

Veteran Member
Sep 28, 2014
Southern Utah
Rear Speakers

Twozs

Your above post prompted me to do some computer searching re 70 FB's and a dual rear speaker option. So far I haven't found a definite answer re FB's with an RPO for 2 rear speakers.
One internet site called Trans-Am.com listed an FBird RPO of U80= Speakers (plural). Another site called Hitmans Pontiac - Trans AM lists U80= Speaker (singular). It also shows another RPO of UP8= Dual Rear Speakers. However UP8 may be for later FB's. The site was unclear re the model years and RPO codes.

Maybe someone else has some definite info on whether 1970 FBirds could be optioned with 2 rear speakers?

twozs

Veteran Member
Aug 5, 1999
hopewell jct ny
stereo radio needed left / right separation . not front back . camaro used a mono radio with a fader ( same noise , just a front /back volume ) . the camaro used a am/fm front speaker only also . not a left / right stereo control . i do believe the firebird did . the firebird was a more high end car and would have more radio selections than the camaro early on . if the firebird / trans am came with a stereo anything it had 2 rear speakers . so look for a stereo in a firebird . if it had a mono radio , it had 1 rear speaker ( or not , if it wasn't optioned that way ) . so you would see both on the build sheet . you need to find the radio code .

Last edited: