Speakers

dadgonebroke

Veteran Member
Jul 1, 2008
Nature Coast of Florida
15x 7 spare and speakers

I am bound and determined that I'm going to get my 15x7 spare to fit underneath a passenger side speaker. Has anyone gone through this and what 6x9 SHALLOW MOUNT SPEAKERS were used?

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
I went with a donut under my large magnet speaker. I wanted sound before wanting the F60-15 to fit. Plus the lighter tire is easier on the leafs on that side.

trunk.JPG

speakerRR.JPG

70 Proof

Veteran Member
Sep 28, 2014
Southern Utah
Rear Speaker

Dadgone
FWIW- For years my 70 Sport Coupe had an after market 6 x 9 speaker mounted in the right rear package tray above the E78-14 spare tire. Never a problem with clearance. I don't know the specs or brand name of the speaker but it was nothing special, just an off the rack speaker.

dcozzi

Veteran Member
May 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
I had 2 fosgate punch 6X9s in the rear deck of my '70 and a full size spare. It would graze the speaker magnet going in and out of the trunk but it fit.

dadgonebroke

Veteran Member
Jul 1, 2008
Nature Coast of Florida
70 Proof said:
Dadgone
FWIW- For years my 70 Sport Coupe had an after market 6 x 9 speaker mounted in the right rear package tray above the E78-14 spare tire. Never a problem with clearance. I don't know the specs or brand name of the speaker but it was nothing special, just an off the rack speaker.
I'm thinking the E-78-14 is about 1 1/2 inches narrower that the F-60-15. That's a lot but I haven't ordered one yet, but maybe a 205-60 might fit.

CamaroNmotion

Veteran Member
Jan 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
twozs said:
early second gens had a speaker grill for the rear tray . that being said , camaros didn't have a second rear speaker untill 75 when they came with a factory stereo radio . the holes were punched out of all the metal package trays for the firebird did have a stereo radio from 70 on . camaro radios were all mono until 75 ( it may be 74 but i'm pretty sure it was 75 ) . the board cover was only punched out for a right speaker ( and defroster if added ) . factory speaker covers come up on ebay and i think that someone ( one of the bigger suppliers ) sells them also . as there is no left or right just buy 2 . it was the early 70s and a radio was optional in a camaro .

1974 Camaro was the first year that am-fm stereo was available from the factory. Came with one front & one left rear speakers.