Special Interest Vehicle Plates

Discussion in 'North West Region' started by Arsonist80, Oct 15, 2020.

  1. Arsonist80

    Arsonist80 New Member

    Likes Received:
    Jul 11, 2020
    Hey everyone,

    I have a 79 Camaro and was considering building out a pretty bonkers 496 engine. I would almost assuredly not pass smog, but this would be a fun weekend/second car so I would barely ever be driving it. Perhaps weekends, car shows, race track, etc. Because of this I am considering getting special interest vehicle plates. It appears you can get these for any cars older than 25 years old here in Oregon. I was wondering, are there are any other Oregonians on this forum that have gone through the process of applying and subsequently driving with this type of plate?
  2. CitrusZ28

    CitrusZ28 Veteran Member

    Likes Received:
    Sep 13, 2002
    I've had my SP plates on my Z-28 since 1994, back then they cost $47, I think that they are more costly now. I had a '76 Camaro for a few years and got SP plates for it as well, I think that they cost $77 back in 2009 and they are only issuing one plate instead of two. You now also have to sign a form that states you will only use the car for parades, club activities, etc. I was pulled over by a state trooper down at the coast once driving that car, he pulled me over for having no front plate, I sat there for 20 minutes while he checked on the plate and apologized to me for taking so long as he could not get a straight answer for the use of that plate and sent me on my way with no citation. I've seen other cars using those plates on regular cars, not vintage autos just cars that are over 25 years old and using them as regular drivers, not what they are intended for. With your '79 and limited use you should have no problem using SP plates so you should go ahead and get them.

Share This Page