spectra efi tank

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by bygblok, Jun 11, 2013.

1. bygblok

bygblok Veteran Member

my 70 is an early one and doesn't have any emmisions in the tank. Anything later than that would probably need the emissions(non-vented) type

2. weircc

weircc New Member

I'm about to pull the trigger as well does anyone know if these tanks are fixed? Thought they was having problems when turning corners. I knew they was starting to baffel them. Just didn't know if it ever happened or not

3. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I was reading that these tanks have a few issues I called tanks Inc and they just approved a 70-73 fuel injection tank and I've heard good things about the tanks Inc

4. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I read the same thing at chevelle forums.
    Tanks Inc will have a Efi tank in 3-4to months and its priced well

5. sevitz5

sevitz5 Veteran Member

I purchased the Spectra tank juat a few months ago for my 70 w/ LS swap. Performs flawlessly...I have had zero issues with it except the fact that it is a NON emission tank and it swells up while I am driving it. When I take the cap off it releases, I called Spectra to see about this, and they told me it was 100% normal on non emission tanks. On long drives I get a "film of gas mist" on my back bumper and tail panel, which drives me nuts, but that is my ONLY complaint. Good Luck.

6. James Kirk

James Kirk New Member

Sev are you venting it properly? A tank should NEVER swell up. Thats a bomb waiting to go off!!!

7. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

X2 ! ! !

8. kboxx

kboxx Veteran Member

I have a Spectra EFI tank too and I would really recommend NOT driving that car until you have that fixed. My tank is a 70 non vented tank with a vented cap. I run the Corvette pressure regulator and have it mounted back by the tank. I am running an LS2. When I remove my cap I get the sucking sound a bit but that is really bad juju to have your tank swell. I would investigate why the tank is building pressure. I'd start by changing gas caps.

9. cdorhout

cdorhout Veteran Member

I have the Spectra tank with the emissions ports on it. I just plumbed the emissions ports to the stock vapor seperator behind the rear seat (71 Camaaro), then the line that orginally went up to the front of the car, I just put a breather on it. It keeps the pressure out of the tank.
    When I first installed the tank, I blocked all those ports off, and I'd get a lot of pressure build up on hot days, and fuel would splash back at me when filling up.
    With the vent it fixed all that.