Spectra premium tank and pump combo

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I recently bought a Holley 12-301 supposed to drop in to the stock tank. Once i install it I'll post my thoughts
I really like that one too, but it didn't have a return line plumbed into it, which I wanted. It's also internally regulated, so I'm back to the same issue as the other module. PF4 wants a vacuum referenced external reg and I want to stick with their requirements.

Purolator surprised me with the Spectra tank today! Looks like a nice piece so far.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Been following your thread and wish you the best of luck ... from the "southern " city of Kingston Ontario LMAO !!
Thanks man! Grew up in Smith's Fallls. Down the road from you. Car is put away right now, but I have most of the parts and will set aside a week in the spring to get everything together. Will update for sure.

I will pull the sending unit out of the tank tomorrow and post a pic of the pump and baffling. Interested to see what it looks like.

bygblok

Veteran Member
Nov 28, 2010
Pensacola Florida
I used a spectra tank in my 70 when I went to efi a few years back. Tank fit perfect, pump was fine with no issues at all for 10k or so miles. I decided to go back to a carb and all I did was pull the pump and extend the pickup from where the pump was back in to the baffle tank. I plan on going LSx soon so it will be a piece of cake to convert it back to use a walbro pump as long as the wiring isn't a headache. Spectra is good stuff to me.

76z28

Veteran Member
Jun 29, 2009
bakersfield
I used a spectra tank in my 70 when I went to efi a few years back. Tank fit perfect, pump was fine with no issues at all for 10k or so miles. I decided to go back to a carb and all I did was pull the pump and extend the pickup from where the pump was back in to the baffle tank. I plan on going LSx soon so it will be a piece of cake to convert it back to use a walbro pump as long as the wiring isn't a headache. Spectra is good stuff to me.

Out of curiosity why did you go back to carb and why didn't you use the same pump and return it to the tank?
If I ever have to go back to carb that is my plan(buy a regulator that I can set to 6psi and return the rest to the tank)

bygblok

Veteran Member
Nov 28, 2010
Pensacola Florida
Out of curiosity why did you go back to carb and why didn't you use the same pump and return it to the tank?
If I ever have to go back to carb that is my plan(buy a regulator that I can set to 6psi and return the rest to the tank)
I went back carb because the FAST system I used was always......ALWAY giving me issues from the time I bolted it on. Spent countless hours redoing grounds, adding noise filters, replacing sensors etc, only to have it leave me stranded on the road multiple times. I went back carb with a mechanical pump and an HEI distributor and the only thing I’ve broken since then was the rearend! I’m keeping my options open to go LSx power but will use the Holley terminator x to control it to avoid having the reprogram a factory ecm with every mod.

KevinG

Jan 25, 2007
Centralia Missouri
Well I'm a few days late to this party but my son and I just did replace the pump in our Spetra tank in the 78 Camaro Z-28 yesterday. Tank is the GM201FI. Installed June last year. It had the Walbro pump stamped "Made in USA". Is was a little noisy from day one when you turned on the key but could not really hear when car was started unless you tried. That changed to getting louder over time to the point it was just too much even cruising down the road. Friend has an old frame mounted Holley blue pump on his Javelin and I could have give him a run for his money on pump noise and I would probably have won! Anyway we replace with a AEM 50-1000 and that thing is whisper quite, can hardly hear it at all when key is on before starting and of course hear nothing when running. The AEM is a direct replacement down to the electrical connector so you don't have to mess with anything. Just remove old Walbro, install AEM. The AEM has a port on the top and bottom that instructions say do not block, but the bottom rubber mount that the Walbro/Spetra pickup used was already designed to allow the port to not be blocked. Could not have been any easier to swap.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Well I'm a few days late to this party but my son and I just did replace the pump in our Spetra tank in the 78 Camaro Z-28 yesterday. Tank is the GM201FI. Installed June last year. It had the Walbro pump stamped "Made in USA". Is was a little noisy from day one when you turned on the key but could not really hear when car was started unless you tried. That changed to getting louder over time to the point it was just too much even cruising down the road. Friend has an old frame mounted Holley blue pump on his Javelin and I could have give him a run for his money on pump noise and I would probably have won! Anyway we replace with a AEM 50-1000 and that thing is whisper quite, can hardly hear it at all when key is on before starting and of course hear nothing when running. The AEM is a direct replacement down to the electrical connector so you don't have to mess with anything. Just remove old Walbro, install AEM. The AEM has a port on the top and bottom that instructions say do not block, but the bottom rubber mount that the Walbro/Spetra pickup used was already designed to allow the port to not be blocked. Could not have been any easier to swap.
Ok great! Thanks for that. I have my new Spectra tank/pump ready to go, but I'm waffling on which EFI to go with. Still leaning towards ProFlo, but I heard they may be coming out with something new, so I'm waiting to see. Until then, just carb and mechanical pump for now.

75Maro

Veteran Member
Mar 31, 2008
Dallas,Tx
Sounds like you have already purchased your tank and pump but just to pass along options and info, I used a ricks tank with a gen 5 camaro fuel pump. Guy over at vetteworks swaps out the regulator so that you can run it with steady 55ish psi on the LS swaps. I like the design of the factory pumps as they incorporate a "bucket" to keep fuel at the pickup.

Latest posts