spectre performance muscle car cold air intake???

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by mikem, Mar 24, 2012.

1. HOLESHOT

HOLESHOT Veteran Member

I put one on my car and it choked it out ran super fat. but it was the companys carb hat

2. SMCZ28

SMCZ28 Veteran Member

What I plan on doing is just buying the plenum costs 100 150 depending on where you shop. Than buy some ABS piping it costs way less than buying the aluminum chrome piping also runs 10 degrees cooler and painting it to match. I will also get K&N air filters with a 6" opening so I can attach velocity stacks which will give better air flow and velocity through the system. I have seen one guy make an heat shield out of a walmart trash can I might try that out.

Single Plenum you can get for 50
    Dual low profile Plenum 100-150
    4" 60" ABS Piping 16 or 4" 10' for 40
    4" 45 degree elbows 5 a piece
    Trash can 10 a peice
    K&N filters you can get for 30 a piece
    Velocity stacks 15 a piece

In total maybe 330 or less if you shop right vs 500 for their kit.

I also see a lot of people saying they wouldn't try it because of the bends but if it was forced induction it would be a different story well...

I thought of using spectre's duct mounting plate on the bottom panel where the charcoal canister goes. The duct mount has 4 holes and it might line up with the factory holes for the canister if it does just bolt it in add a 45 or 90 degree tube to it and there you go forced induction. Depending on how tacky it might look but you might not be able to see it because of the bumper and fender, you will be able to see it from the back of the fender in front of the tire but don't know but I might try it and if you know you have to drive on a rainy day just go out the day before undo 2 bolts and off you go but you will probably have to mod the plate to fit the bumper brace and the hole going up the the canister isn't that big, maybe 1" round but better than nothing and if you want you could always make it bigger.

The other thing I worry about is, isn't it law to have a puke tank connected if you drive on the streets?

I check mine from time to time and I never see coolant inside of it but yet I don't drive to far since its a small town.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  3. Ligerzero

Ligerzero Veteran Member

I think youll like mine!

[​IMG]

PM me if your interested on how to build it, very easy and it cost around $150 to do it. You "might" need a 2" cowl hood to have this under your hood though, idk, i have a 4" lol.

4. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

5. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

6. Cable Slacker

Cable Slacker Veteran Member

its this setup better than a functional cowl hood?

7. Mike Busutil

Mike Busutil Veteran Member

I went with the Spectre dual intake and am pretty happy with it. And it fits under the cowl hood on a big block pretty decent as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Tpichevy

Tpichevy Veteran Member

Looks like the factory style coolant hose needed changed.... Anything anything else other then the battery? This is the one I was looking at doing also. Do you have a electric fan(s) and would a fan shroud not fit?

9. Mike Busutil

Mike Busutil Veteran Member

I changed the top coolant hose and am running dual electric fans and the battery is in the trunk. I am not 100% sure but I think cooling shroud would still fit. (Or require minimum adjustments)