Speedometer grommet TKO upgrade

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by larry_anthony, Dec 2, 2019.

1. larry_anthony

larry_anthony Veteran Member

I’ll certainly keep you updated and thanks for all your input. Always great to hear from someone who has been there before.

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Backup lights were easy. Mine was a factory 4 speed car, so I have a clutch pedal switch. Not bothering with neutral switch.

I originally removed the T10 shifter handle, drilled it and used it on the TKO, but it has a compound bend to it which put it too close to drivers seat. It worked, but not comfortable.

3. larry_anthony

I just ordered the same shifter you have from Amazon. Better price than the one I was thinking about and looks awesome.

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Good! I think you will like it. The quality was great, it came with the hardware needed to mount any size ball and it puts the shifter right where you want it.

5. larry_anthony

I fixed my grommet tonight. I cut enough of a slit in the stiff rubber one I had to slip it over the speedometer end and it closed back up nicely on the cable. I’ll add some sealant once I reinstall for good measure.

Do you recall the small square dust cover on the bottom of the shifter on the transmission ? Instructions say to seal around the seams of the cover with permatex but with the design of the cover there are some large openings. Did you add sealant? I don’t like the idea of gooping sealant around my nice new trans.

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

I thought the same as you. Sealant wont help at all, I just installed the cover without any sealant.

7. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

I wish I could feel another tko, the one I felt in my friends car felt.... not so good. I only felt one other YEARS ago and it seemed much better. The one that felt good had the stock shifter, the other has the SST shifter.
    My stock t56 shifter is crisp and easy

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

The one I have from SST seems great. I have never tried any other TKO though. I will say the effort needed to push against the detent spring to move the handle over to the 1/2 gear shift position is a bit higher than I thought it might be, but I got used to it pretty quickly. Overall, very happy with it.

9. larry_anthony

My install is complete and I’ve driven about 75 miles thus far. I really like the TKO and also noticed the detent pressure as well but getting used to it. The .64 OD is a little high for my 3:42 but can’t complain. I would like to have a 3.73 anyway.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Excellent work! My car came factory with a 3.08 rear gear, and I must confess, I have not opened the cover to see if it still is a 3.08. Based on my speed/rpm estimates, I think someone swapped in 3.73 at some point before I got the car. I'm going to open it up this spring to put a posi in, and if it is indeed a 3.73, I will be changing to 3.90. It runs great through the gears, but I find 5th gear is a touch tall, which makes me think the 3.08 may still be in there. I have plenty of power to pull 5th, but if I want to get over 140 mph quickly, I have to wind it right out in 4th then hit 5th. But that is fun anyways....