Speedometer grommet TKO upgrade

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by larry_anthony, Dec 2, 2019.

1. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

They also make the .82 version, the TKO600RR (road race) which is basically a close ratio 5 speed.

It would be a more ideal match for either 3.08 or 3.42 final drive ratios.

I'm running 3.73 out back on my '69 vette and still went with the RR version to match my rev happy light flywheel engine setup.

With a 27 inch rear tire I am running 3000rpm at 80mph and a quick run up to say 110mph to make a pass does not require a downshift:cool:

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Very nice. 69 vette is a cool car. My 383 makes plenty enough torque to pull 5th gear from 2 grand to make a pass, and to use 5th pretty much everywhere I want, so I'm just being picky when it comes to really winding the car out for an all out top speed run. Once I actually put eyes on my rear axle gearing, I will know for sure, but going by the Tremec gearing/speed estimator, I'm quite sure I have 3.73 already. My other course of action would be to go 4.11, but that would make first gear useless. I love it the way it is, but if I find myself wanting to change how I use 5th gear, I may buy the parts needed to make it .82 and do it myself. I think 1-3 in the RR are different as well though.

3. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

Gearset 1-4 is the same on both TKO600 models, its just that instead of having a deep dedicated OD gear in the .64 version, the .82 RR instead offers a close ratio 5th gear.

The .64 OD version is going in the Camaro along w/ 3.73 rear axle and 245/60x15 rears but this car is more of a cruiser and should be happy chugging along at 2200rpm in 5th

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Hmm...ok, good to know. I could swear the tremec gearing/speed calculator showed different 1-3 gearing for the RR vs the .64 OD.

However, I stand corrected! I must have mixed one of them up with the TKO 500 in the drop-down selections. Here is the calculator link for anyone interested. I like this one because it lets you calculate your tire height based on aspect ratio/diameter and width. http://www.tremec.com/calculadora.php

5. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Veteran Member

This is good info, I did the same TKO600 on mine but never hooked up the speedo yet since I couldn't find the right speedo gear for my car with 4.11's. I need to revisit that, the sharp curve the cable has to take going in the dash bothered me a little as well.

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

Nice! How do you like the trans with 4.11's? I was a bit worried about the cable too, but it has a few months on it now and no issues. I just need to find a speedo that reads to 160. I like the stock look, but hard to find a stock speedo higher than 85mph that will work with the 81 cluster. There are some guys here with really nice aftermarket gauge sets. May have to do that.

7. redriderjf87

redriderjf87 Veteran Member

That's good to know on the cable, thanks.

Hadn't thought about the higher mph speedo yet, will have to do some research. I was initially hoping to do a Dakota Digital setup and go to a pulse speedo output while also using my EFI info to do a custom dashboard setup, but pumped the brakes on all that when I found out FiTech doesn't use standard CANbus communication.

I dig the 4.11's with the TKO. 1st is tall enough to be useful but short enough to have some fun when I want, even with the mild 350. The OD dropped me 1000 rpm at 60mph and doubled my highway mpg so I can't complain lol.

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yes, I'm considering an electronic speedo of some sort just because the trans has a provision for it. Hmmm...May consider 4.11 then depending on what I find in the back of mine. That would allow me to go to a slightly taller tire if I go to a 17 inch wheel at some point. But I think driveshaft RPM gets a bit hairy at high speeds with a low rear end gear plus overdrive. I'm sure it's manageable though with a good setup.

9. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

I did an Autometer gauge package when I had the dash apart for the Vintage Air install and 4 speed conversion.

[​IMG]

I went with a mech 120mph speedo and 8000rpm tach as the hyd roller cam is done by 6000rpm and I don't ever plan on having the car over 120:eek:

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Love the look of that gauge package. Well done. Well...nobody PLANS to go over 120...it just happens. The Tremec is good for that. I'm shifting into 5th at 120.