SPI epoxy

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 1981zder, Jun 16, 2020.

1. 1981zder

1981zder New Member

Question, never used spi epoxy before and wondering if anybody knows if 1 quart of spi mixed 1:1 giving me 2 sprayable quarts if that will be enough to do the underside of a 81 z? No subframe or rear end, just the body. Just trying to do in stages and don’t want the activator going bad.

2. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just buy a gallon of each...the activator is good for a loooong time if kept in a cool dry environment. I've used it extensively and am really happy with the SPI epoxy.

3. 1981zder

1981zder New Member

Thanks

4. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

BTW...to answer your other question, I do not think 2 qts ready to spray will be enough. Two wet coats are recommended and there are a ton of little nooks and crannies on the underside which will equal some additional waste trying to get full coverage. I recommended buying a gallon of each to 1) be sure you have enough and 2) you will find lots of other needs and uses for the product and with a long shelf life, I doubt it'll go to waste.

5. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Found it can be a little finicky when it comes to fish eye's but this stuff looks good and is tough as nails...

6. Ihada70Z28B4

Ihada70Z28B4 Veteran Member

I never get fish eyes with SPI but I am meticulous with keeping things clean from the earliest stages of prep. Are you sure is not orange peel your getting? If so try turning down the fluid half turn at a time. Try to use a 1.4-1.5 tip if possible and the first coat should be on the light side. I found it easier to adjust fluid backwards from normal and start closed and open fluid half turns until it lays down slick. I've shot gallons of this stuff and it takes a bit to dial it in.

7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I am sure it is not orange peel. I have good luck with items that are sandblasted.

8. 1981zder

1981zder New Member

Thanks for the replies. I thought it would only be about a 6 month shelf life once opened, with a year I should be fine. I didn’t think 2 sprayable quarts would be enough but I’ve never used it before so I didn’t know how far it would go.

9. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

you can actually thin it out depending on application, however I would go 1:1 with frame. Ive used it on my build, its great stuff!

10. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer New Member

You can go to SPI"s web site to get any information you might need. I used SPI epoxy, 2K primer and their Universal 4000 clear on my 67 Camaro. All their stuff is great. ( http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php )

giggity likes this.