split bumper camaros

luvmymaro

Jan 10, 2006
Tucson
just out of curiousity
what is your opinion of people with full bumper camaros putting on a split bumper and trying to pass it for a real split bumper?

I personally don't like the fact but i was wondering some of your guys' thoughts
:bowtie:

BobB

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 10, 2000
USA
I wouldnt put RS bumpers on a straight bumper front myself,but there are an awful lot of nice looking Camaros(alot on this board)that have done it.

I think you will find quite a few opinions on this subject here.:D

Wicked 71

Veteran Member
Feb 24, 2004
Hendersonville, NC, USA
I have a standard front Camaro with RS Bumperettes. I have never tried to "pass it off" as an original. In fact, the complete drivetrain is not original.

I happen to think that the split bumpers look better, just my opinion. I have corrected a lot of people who have made comments about my "split bumper Camaro". Some assume that it is original and someone always has to make it known that it didn't come that way. There are a lot of things that it didn't come with.

You would have to do a lot of work, not to mention buy a lot of parts, to make a true RS clone. Most anyone who knows Camaros wouldn't be fooled by just the split bumpers.

MadMike

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 11, 1999
Dawsonville Georgia
Outside of confusing a lot of casual car observers... my only gripe about this type of thing is: you effectively have NO bumper on the car. The RS nose is a significant part of the bumper.

There's no bumper on this car. It's all sheet metal and plastic.
botched.jpg

US MARINE

Veteran Member
Feb 4, 2001
Jacksonville, NC
MadMike said:
Outside of confusing a lot of casual car observers... my only gripe about this type of thing is: you effectively have NO bumper on the car. The RS nose is a significant part of the bumper.

There's no bumper on this car. It's all sheet metal and plastic.
botched.jpg

Mike I see two bumpers on that camaro, front corner bumper comes in handy when your tapping slow drivers on the left or right rear quarter panel out of your way ;)

SF
Rick

hhott71

R.I.P 11/19/18
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 30, 2001
Joplin Mo. 64801
split bumper? I guess you mean RS or Rally Sport.
And the (GAG) faux RS.
Sport Coupe fronts are the Best and must remain unfuglyfied.

Phil G

Veteran Member
May 3, 2004
Tucker, GA, USA
I wouldn't just put the splits on without the rest of it. Just doesn't look right to me, plus the safety factor.

I like my '71 *just* the way it is:

camaro1a.jpg

LayZ

Veteran Member
Jun 9, 1999
NJ. US
Boy did you ever ask a loaded question. I like the RS front, i'm ok with the full bumper, but having a RS makes me biased :) . You'll find we are pretty much divided down the middle on this one. I think it's great that the full bumper guys think the RS is sooo cool they just had to fake one ;)

71RS350

Staff member
May 10, 2004
Mooresville,NC
in my opnion the fake RS when people put split bumper of a full bumper car just doesn't look that good to me....but there are some nice look ones...but the real RS cars like mine....are the orignal nice looking split bumpers!