Split Bumper Vega

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Z-Life, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I always liked the Vega and the Monza.

Z-Life likes this.
  2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Vega was before my time!...and they had all already given up the lil aluminum motor..
    I got stuck with a "Shuvit". That screaming machine could gallop quick enough to snatch 2nd ...AND 3rd gear (with the optional 4.10 gear from an automatic model) then all 56 horses would pull so hard you could barely move your head (cause you were laughing TOO hard) MY lil Dodge Omni KILLER had just right balance of Left vs Right so as to sneak into a grocery parking lot and NEVER be suspected of misdemeanor.....lol

Z-Life likes this.
  3. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a story about the Vega engine ... The old defunct staff engineering operation at the GM Tech Center in Warren - surprisingly named Engineering Staff(and was the operation that sponsored me at a GMI student) - designed much of the original aluminum L4 Vega engine. When we handed it off to Chevrolet, we specified a number of things, among them that the iron coating on the pistons had to be at least 0.0007 inches thick, for an expected life of I think 100,000 miles. Well, Chevrolet made a number of changes to the engine, for instance flipping the intake manifold. Then when problems surfaced, of course Chevrolet blamed E-Staff. Even DeLorean blamed us in his book "On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors". So a task force was created at E-Staff to figure out what was happening. One of the interesting things they discovered(I was just a college student at the time, so of course I really wasn't much involved) was that the iron coating on the production pistons was as low as 0.0002 inches. Thus the "cold welding" piston-to-cylinder wall problems at 30,000-40,000 miles in extremely cold climates like Minnesota.

My first introduction to the joys of intra-corporate squabbling at a large corporation ...

4. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

I had a 73 auto wagon when I came back from Thailand in Jan 74. Middle of the first gas crunch. Well built car, drove to and
    from Cali from Florida. When loaded I had to plan 3 days in advance to make a pass. LOL!

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I had 3 V-8 Vegas, you could never get them to stop with the sheety brakes they had and 4 lug wheels, that's mustang crap with there. The last one I had was a panel truck Vega, 327 with a Tunnel ram, 2 450 Holley's and would smoke the tires for a mile long. Sold it and bought a Camaro.

Z-Life likes this.
  6. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Used to call them "a poor man's Camaro" back in the day. I had a '73GT and then a '75GT both were hatchbacks. Missed one near me just after civid happened last year.

Z-Life likes this.
  7. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Buddy back in the day was a young wrench when the vega came out,remembered a transporter [car carrier] in the lot re-arranging the cars as all didn't get dropped off there.Anyway he said the drivers tried to put a vega on the top tier of the truck and it either didn't have the power or gearing to drive up there.Driver came in and wanted them to see why.Buddy said one of the old guys said "this vega crap ain't gonna be good" I remember seeing them loaded/transported vertical on train cars as a kid.always wondered if they had fluids in them??
    In the original Gone in 60 seconds near the end when Pace walks thru his warehouse to get Eleanor to give back he walks past a blue bad looking Vega surely a v/8 conversion possibly a motion.Later Steve!!

8. Z-Life

Z-Life Nasty Member

Its too bad GM didnt make a sport model, like Ford did for the Maverick with the Grabber.. a factory built sbc vega would have been desirable car. I was 13 when mom got the 74, I remember the Aluminum engine there was a lot of skeptics about aluminum engines back then. We didnt keep the car long she got a new Monte in 75 with all leather and a 350, a huge car compared to that vega.
    @danbrennan really interesting inside information.... and @Fbird really, a chevette had a optional 4.10 rear end ratio? cool stuff

9. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

automatic shuvits did....the stick car was like 3.5 or 3.73 gear. IIRC

10. xten

xten Veteran Member

This is pretty cool. Just ran yesterday. My buddy has 3 V8 Vegas, Pics on work computer. If I remember I'll put up a pic of his tube chassis one he races. His dad who is close to 80 yrs old races one of the street V8 Vegas. Still does pretty good in it. Cut two perfect lights in it last year.
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0321-470482/1972-chevrolet-vega/

John Wright likes this.