Spoiler paint removal

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by BigBlock73, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

Strip it with 80 grit on a DA. You're not going to find good paint stripper these days. A few years ago they took the methylene chloride out and now all you can get is a baby version of paint stripper unless you work for someone who has a license to buy it. Don't bother with the shelf stuff now, it sucks.

I stripped my spoilers with the old aircraft fiberglass stripper. It worked great. These days you won't be able to buy it and that was only 2014 when I did mine

2. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Member

I would highly discourage stripping paint off a curvy fiberglass part with 80 grit on a da. That is an aggressive grit AND fiberglass is a soft material vs steel. You will sand through edges right away and still have the interior surfaces to go - you will be through the gel coat and well into reshaping the edge details before all the rest of the paint is off. No matter how good you are with a da....those fine edges will be toast

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I used 80 grit on a jitterbug. I can finesse a jitterbug much better than a DA around the curves. I hand sand the edges with 180 grit.

I wanted to leave witnesses of the original stripes to get measurements off of. rear spoiler stripped top view.jpg rear spoiler stripped back view.jpg

4. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Member

How did you get in this tight curve?
    rear spoiler stripped back view.jpg

5. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

On the inside I didn’t, if that’s what you mean. On the outside the sander rolls around it easily. I’m not stripping the underside that is over the trunk lid. No reason. The factory barely painted it. Just overspray. For the ends that hang over the fenders, I’m hand sanding this small areas

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

When I put a small fiberglass spoiler on my Camaro, I picked up some chemical stripper from a local body and paint supply shop here. It is made specially for cars like Corvettes. I stripped it and painted it. That was over 20 years ago and it is still just fine.
    I recommend buying a product made for this job, and your local paint and body shops are probably the best place to get it.