spools!!!

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by camaro19791000, Oct 28, 2010.

1. camaro19791000

camaro19791000 Veteran Member

What about a spool on the street is it okay, whats the good the bad. and why not use a spool rather than a eaton or auburn ect lsd, or a locker???
    i was thinking of installing this
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Strange-Engineering/873/D1522/10002/-1
    what your two cents??
    and can i run stock axle shafts???
    thanks!!:bowtie: :bowtie: :bowtie: :bowtie:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Bad. You can do it, but with a spool turning corners at speed may be unpleasent. Is cost a factor in this?

Spool, Locker, limited slip are all different beast

Why not look into a lock-right?

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

search this forum for spool you'll find lots of opinions. I'd never run one in the street, it over stresses things. But some people do it and say no issue. I guess there is no issue until something breaks.

4. Lindenmooch

Lindenmooch Member

I never heard good things about an auto-locker like a lockright. But I have heard mixed about running spools on the street. Pros and cons obviously. Have you searched locally for a used OEM style limited slip unit for your application? Have you checked the local scrap yards? Any upcoming swap meets? Or just save up some cash and get a decent posi from Jegs. I wouldn't run a spool on a car.....I considered it once for a truck for mostly street, and some offroad use...and still never did it. It will be the most predictable....but the most harsh. Your tires will take quite a beating...and your axles will wish you waited and bought an LSD.

This is more opinion and educated guess than fact. =P

-Mooch.

5. blades67

blades67 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you have factory axles and are looking for a quick way to break them, a spool will make that happen sooner rather than later. If your car suffers from wheel hop, adding a spool will speed up the destruction.

6. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i've ran spools on many different vehicles over the years with no issues but ea was set up with high strength components

edit :

i've also run all the different kinds of traction devices like limited slips,lockers ,spools on alot of off road jeeps and street toys and the only two that will offer 100 percent traction to both wheels will be a locker or spool . a limited slip if one tire is on a slippery surface or elevated off of the ground will not allow the other tire on the ground to move the vehicle .try this sometime on a vehicle with a limited slip by jacking up one side off of the ground then try and carefully try and get the vehicle to move under it's own power . the tire on the ground will not move the vehicle and the tire off of the ground is spinning .now doing the same test with a locker or spool you will notice the tire on the ground will move the vehicle

we would do this test on jeeps and other 4x4's if they were going on a run that required lockers if the truck or jeep didn't have the tire on the ground move it wasn't allowed on the trail

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  7. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Here we go again. I'm just going to cut and paste from another forum where this came up not long ago. Sorry if it sounds a bit mean, but this was several pages long and had a few arguments in it.

"OK, to all of you guys who say you have been driving your cars on the street for years and haven't broke anything I say that you better thank the Lord. Just because you haven't broke anything doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I have been building rear ends for over 28 years and I have seen my customers break axles, break wheels and break all of the studs off of their axles because they were running a spool on the street. None of them got hurt or hurt anyone, but they could have very easily killed someone. I have held the broken parts in my hand. So just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean that it won't happen. The plain truth is that a spool is too dangerous on the street, period.

This is typical of the way most peoople think. You spend all of your money on the engine and transmission and don't leave anything for the rear end, so you just fix it the cheapest way that you can. I don't know how many people have welded the gears solid or installed a mini spool just because they ran out of money before they got to the rear end. The rear end is what is keeping the car on the road. If the engine blows you are probably just going to coast to the side and get out of the car and walk away. If the rear end blows you might not have the chance to get out of the car and walk away ever again."

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  8. BB1969

BB1969 Veteran Member

Thats the truth right there!!!

9. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Big Gear Head's post tells it like it is.

IF all you had to drive was in a straight line, then a spool would be OK. BUT in the REAL WORLD, roads have curves + a spool puts a lot of stress on the wheel studs and the axles + good traction = broken parts. The other danger is that both tires on the rear end with a spool get good traction and the front steering tires DON'T get traction = car goes straight when the road doesn't go straight = car hitting nearest imovable object!

Bottom line, DON'T DRIVE A SPOOL ON THE STREET IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE AND YOUR VEHICLE!

10. BB1969

BB1969 Veteran Member

Imagine taking a long ride in your pride and joy camaro one nice sunday and on the way home it starts to rain, you are going just 40 mph around a turn and when your spool starts skipping that inside side rear tire you hydroplane into a ditch . Now your car is all smashed up and hopefully you did not get hurt. Now to fix your car its gonna cost a hundred times more then buying a locker or lsd. Do it right the first time and be safe.