Spring Height Question

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by parker36, Aug 15, 2012.

1. parker36

parker36 Member

I may be jumping the gun here but just thought I would check if anyone knew this answer. I have a 79 camaro that I found after 17 years of sitting in a pole barn. Now the car did not have an engine in it for all those years of sitting. I am redoing the complete front end and bought the eibach pro kit springs. It says a drop of about 1 inch. I took the old springs out and measured them at 17.5" and the new ones that I just got are about 14". That doesn't calculate to a 1" drop if you ask me....but like I said, thinking I may be jumping the gun. Anyone think that those old stock springs have a different measurement after sitting in the car without motor for 17 years or is this something that shouldn't even concern me with thinking about the 1 inch drop they said for this year stock?

2. gregh

gregh Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You are measuring them with no load on them, not a good way to compare springs because they will compress to a different height(under load) depending on the spring rate(strength).

3. parker36

parker36 Member

Thank you and that is exactly what I was hoping to hear....that I was not doing it right!! That makes me feel much better and thank you again for setting me straight with that answer!

4. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What's the part number on the new springs and who makes them?

5. parker36

parker36 Member

The new springs are Eibach and the number is ETB-3852-120.

6. wayback

wayback Veteran Member

Greg has it right. Your new Eibach springs are much stiffer than the old stock coils you're replacing. Stiffer springs don't need to compress as far as softer ones do to achieve the correct ride height.