Start no Start

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Chiefs75, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Chiefs75

Chiefs75 Veteran Member

I just got the 305 running for the first time in my 81Z.:bowtie: I set the timing, car wouldnt start. Fuel leaking from the carb (Q JET). Rebuilt the carb, first time I hit the starter, fired right up and ran. I ran it for about 5 min, shut everything down, no issues. That afternoon started it up again, 1st time go, ran for a few minutes, no issues, shut it down, checked the oil, tranny fluid, coolant, and started it again, no issues, started to get a little hesitation, then it died, now it wont start, it doesnt cough or sputter or anything, just cranks over. I have the wiring harnes from a 79 installed and the Q JET is from a 75 so there is no comp controlled stuff in there.

Any ideas and how should I go about troubleshooting this.

2. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Did you run out of fuel by chance?

3. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Check for spark.

4. Chiefs75

Chiefs75 Veteran Member

Fuel shouldnt be an issue, I had put about 4 gal or so in before I started cranking it over, plus I can see fuel squirting into the carb when I move the throttle linkage.

I didnt check for spark, I was going to try today but the weather isnt cooperating and I just moved it outside- go figure. Ill give it a go tommorrow or the next day and see what happens.

Thanks.

5. warped

warped Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sitting in my command bunker waiting for the zombi
    check the timing again. You might not have tightened the hold down enough and the distributor moved on you. good luck.

6. twistedz

twistedz Veteran Member

It could be emptying the fuel into the intake. Have u tried opening the throttle blades all the way ( hold to the floor ) and see if its flooded

7. Chiefs75

Chiefs75 Veteran Member

Good call Twisted, it finally stopped raining today enough for me to go outside and check it out, I noticed that the choke was completely closed when I opened the hood, propped it open, hit the key and it fired right up!

On a side note Im out 300 bucks:( for a new rear side window on my 04 trailblazer, the wind blew so hard it blew the window out. I cleaned up today and didnt find any rocks or junk that looked like it would have messed the window up. The neighbors weeping willow tree got completley knocked over, and the house across the street has 6 trees down so I guess I should feel lucky.