First some background, The wiring had something done to it when I bought it. I have to have a red, looks like a 14 gauge wire hooked to the positive terminal of the battery in order to start the car. If that wire is not on the positive side of the battery the car will nto turn over. I started to trace the wire back but have not done so fully. Anyway I tried starting the car like I normaly do, didn't crank over. Last time turned the key, nothing not even a click sound. Put the battery on a charger, put it back on and still nothing. Went to the store and they tested it said the battery was fine. Replaced the starter. When I put the new starter in and I went to hook the positive battery cable up to the battery it sparked like a Mofo. Thought Ok it may be grounding on something. Looked and I did not see anything. So I took the negative battery cable off, hooked the positive up and started to put the negative cable on. Still sparking, then I got it on but a got a huge smoking burnt solder smell come off the starter. HUGE puff of white smoke filled the gargage. Now I think I fried the new starter. What the heck did I do wrong?