Starter problems /wiring

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by LayZ, Jun 27, 2012.

1. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

First some background, The wiring had something done to it when I bought it. I have to have a red, looks like a 14 gauge wire hooked to the positive terminal of the battery in order to start the car. If that wire is not on the positive side of the battery the car will nto turn over. I started to trace the wire back but have not done so fully.

Anyway I tried starting the car like I normaly do, didn't crank over. Last time turned the key, nothing not even a click sound. Put the battery on a charger, put it back on and still nothing. Went to the store and they tested it said the battery was fine. Replaced the starter.

When I put the new starter in and I went to hook the positive battery cable up to the battery it sparked like a Mofo. Thought Ok it may be grounding on something. Looked and I did not see anything. So I took the negative battery cable off, hooked the positive up and started to put the negative cable on. Still sparking, then I got it on but a got a huge smoking burnt solder smell come off the starter. HUGE puff of white smoke filled the gargage.

Now I think I fried the new starter. What the heck did I do wrong?

2. whitesoxfbody

whitesoxfbody Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The wire hooked up to your battery that has to be hooked up to crank should be attached with an eyelet on the starter with the main battery cable. It works fine on the battery too, same difference.
    There has to be something shorted to ground for you to get the burning smell from underneath.
    If you had some detailed pictures I know I could definitely tell you what was going down.
    And you may have a shorted solenoid, you may have done nothing wrong but buy a defective part. It happens...:(

3. rydeer

rydeer Veteran Member

You really need to find what that extra red wire is. Did that go to feed the car. Never connect a battery that is sparking.( I guess You know that now)
    I guess teh fusible link went b ad and someone in the past used this other wire to get around it. Check the batt cable at the starter, make sure you didn't short it to ground when you installed.

4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Procedure for replacing a starter:

1) Always disconnect the negative battery cable first and reconnect it last.

2) Remove the purple wire from the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid.

3) Remove the positive battery cable and the red power supply wire from the LARGE terminal of the starter solenoid.

4) Remove the starter. NOTE: sometimes it is easier to remove the starter THEN remove the wiring from the starter solenoid.

5) Install the new starter in reverse order.

5. Cardinal

Things that will cause a starter to not run:

1) Park/neutral switch not engaged because either the shifter is out of adjustment or the switch is broken or the switch isn't hooked up. Adjust shifter linkage as needed. Replace neutral safety switch as needed. Reconnect neutral safety switch as needed.

2) Defective starter solenoid. Replace starter assembly with a new mini starter from Ebay.

3) Starter motor brushes worn out. Replace starter with new mini starter from Ebay.

4) Bad grounds. Verify that the ground from the firewall to the engine is clean, secure, and there! There should be a ground wire from the battery negative terminal to the fender as well as the negative battery cable to the engine (usually to the alternator bracket. ALL GROUNDS MUST BE TO A CLEAN METAL SURFACE, HAVE AN INTERNAL STAR WASHER BETWEEN THE TERMINAL AND THE SURFACE BEING ATTACHED TOO, AND BE TIGHT!

6. Cardinal

No power to the vehicle:

USUALLY it is caused by a blown fuseable link. There are fuseable links in the red wiring in the engine compartment. Finding them can be a female dog, but find them you must and replace them as necessary.

7. LayZ

LayZ Veteran Member

Ok Thanks,

I'll try to update this with pics some time today after 5:00 Est for me anyway.

It's just funny I have replaced the starter before and never had it spark like that.