Starting my gifted 1970 camaro RS SS(maybe) resto

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Natedawg, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Natedawg

Natedawg New Member

I thought I would at least get a thread started on my attempt to ressurect a "car" that was given to me. Long story short, I was having a conversation with my next door neighbor about looking at the camaro he had in his driveway for the last 15ish years as I wanted to get a look at what they were like before I commited to finding a project car. He ended up giving me the car! It's in really rough shape and I'm sure I am going to be spending quite some time on these forums looking up info(thanks everyone for making such a great localized place of info!) I've posted these pics and more in the Identification forum here and I'm guessing that this is neither a true RS or SS based on a few giveaways. So here are a few pics...

I have never welded before, done body work, or painted a car. This is going to be fun! I am building a make-shift carport/garage/shanty in the small space next to my house to drop this thing in and get started. Once I am finished with this, I will drag the car over and start putting together a game plan. I have a feeling I will be spending quite some time in the WTB section looking for parts! Oh yeah, I should mention that you could call this my 40th birthday present, as it was on my birthday that I talked with my neighbor, unbenkownst to him. Thanks neighbor!

Attached Files:

71RSLS likes this.
  2. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like a grest start, hope there is not a lot of rust. That kills alot of projects..
    You got alot of the car there. Good Luck and get us posted and pictures coming.

3. Natedawg

Natedawg New Member

Oh, theres rust, and lots of it!

Attached Files:

4. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

you having never welded or done any bodywork before that is nearly an impossible project

before you spend a nickel I'd get all the proper paperwork in order (title if your state requires) and in your name, then sell the car and start with a project that will be much more manageable

I don't mean to sound harsh, but a car like that is really for only the most experienced restoration guys

5. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome! That is a cool story about your neighbour giving you the car, I wish I had ones as nice. Definitely go into the project with your eyes open. I'm in your place as well, never done body work or welding before I got my car so I'm taking it easy, practicing on small bits that won't be visible and I am fully prepared to get someone who really knows their stuff to tackle the body work. I will try doing the footwell replacement myself since I figure once the car is done that won't be visible!

6. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

That rust on the rear quarter and a pillar/cowl looks scary. How are the rear frame rails, trunk floor, doors etc.?

Keep in mind it’s pretty easy to clock up $2000-2500 worth of repro sheetmetal on a really rusty F body before you’ve even fired up the angle grinder.

7. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Welcome to the group. The price was definitely right for the car. Luckily all parts are readily available for our cars and lots of free help here.

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Rust is going to be an issue with this car, but just keep a good attitude and as long as it stays fun and interesting for you you will be fine. Treat everything as a learning experience and don't even think about the costs or getting your money back out of it. Remember, its a hobby and you are supposed to enjoy it. Set realistic goals for the car and try not to be a perfectionist.
    Most folks here have been through this a few times and are more then willing to offer advice on the problem areas. When to fix whats there and when to cut and replace. Don't for a minute think you can't do as well as most body shops. You have the advantage of time. Most of them are trying to churn the cars through the shop as fast as possible and they then cut corners that you don't have to.

If I were going to offer any advice at this point it would be to try and make your workshop as comfortable as possible as you will be spending much time there.

71RSLS likes this.
  9. broahnazki

broahnazki Veteran Member

Congrats on the new project! It looks like a handful but it’s not impossible and they’ll always be a money pit regardless of the starting point but what kept me going was that I had an ugly big bumper and always wished I had a 70-73 not caring the condition it would have been in. If you can keep that mindset of being happy with what you got it’ll be alright. Also for bodywork if you’ve never done it just focus on one panel at a time. Good luck looking forward to seeing this thread grow

71RSLS likes this.
  10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I agree with this....I spent a bunch of time and money on a 65 GTO convertible that was a junk yard car with no title. Boy was that an ordeal trying to get the thing titled and tagged. I had to find the last two owners to get signed affidavits from them and make sure all of the taxes and titling was straight when it passed all of those hands before the DMV would even start the paperwork for me. As it turned it out for me all of the previous owners were deceased and I gave up and traded the car to a friend for something else. I don't know if that car ever got titled again.
    As far as the rust concerns....the floors are fairly easy to replace....the quarters are a different story. However there are lots of guys on YouTube who have videoed their adventures.