Starting my gifted 1970 camaro RS SS(maybe) resto

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Natedawg, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Natedawg

Natedawg New Member

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I absolutely agree on getting the title and squaring away all the legalities before touching this thing. The car is still in my neighbors driveway and will stay there until I have the paperwork worked out. I view this as a learning experience for me, when else will I get the chance? I have to start somewhere! I have patiently waited for over a decade to get to a point where I can tackle a project car again and have the resources to get it done. Mindset and project management go a long way. Right now my budget is focused on getting the right tools to make the project go easier, regardless of which car I end up with. I'll be sure to post more pics when I get the car in place, get it stripped, and start sandblasting.

2. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

That is a nice car for the price! You can already make some money from it..... Take that catalytic converter setting on the passenger floor board, cut the excess pipe off, and take it to the local metal recycling joint. It could be worth $40-85 or more.

Like has already been mentioned, there are a lot of good videos on metal work and rust repair. The best thing you could do is find some old body panels and cut them up and practice fitting patches and welding them together. Time with the mig torch in your hand, (or tig torch), is how you'll get good at it. You could even take a welding course at your local college too. I for one am jealous you got it for free. 70-73 Camaros are bringing dumb money these days.

I'm not sure where you are at, but I know where there is a wrecked 70 RS setting in a junk yard that has some parts on it. It's pretty rough but there are a lot of one year only parts on a 1970.

3. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Damn you guys must be doing better than me.

I’d suggest spending a couple of days going over the car listing all the parts you want/need to replace now jump on classic Industries and summit and go on a virtual shopping spree. Compare the total $$ to other cars on Craigslist, eBay, the nastyz28 classifieds - these cars aren’t that rare and there’ll still be plenty of opportunities to learn on a more solid project that costs less in the long run (listen to the pro builders when they say ‘always start with the most solid car you can afford’)

Think about your time, it might be free, but realistically how many hours are you likely to get in the workshop each week? Unless you’re retired or part time, big projects like this can easily span 5yrs when doing all of the work yourself.

Not trying to discourage you, just talking from experience and being realistic about what to expect.

351maverick likes this.