Steering Box Date Code Help Needed

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by billkrz, Jun 6, 2021.

1. billkrz

billkrz Member

Before I send out my steering box for a rebuild (lots of center play), I thought I would check if it is the original to the car.
    From the photos, can anyone tell me what the date code is?
    Thank you in advance,
    Bill

IMG_8726.JPG
    IMG_8727.JPG

2. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Bill - would help to know specifics of your car...year, model, etc.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

There is a stamped date code on the aluminum cover on a rectangle pad next to the locknut-stud (top of the picture 1). It is a Julian date with a 3 digit number followed by a single digit that is the last number of the year.

4. billkrz

billkrz Member

Great, thank you! I will not have access to the car for about 2 weeks but will take a photo of that plate and attach it to this thread.
    Does seem odd to me that this date code is bolted on to the top of the box. I would think it would be too easy to swap out.
    So, the other codes near the 5691676 have nothing to do with the date code?
    Thanks,
    Bill

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

That code would be the date code from when the main casing was cast. I can't read it on the photo, but the format is likely similar to the ones used on blocks and heads.

6. billkrz

billkrz Member

That makes perfect sense. Thanks, Gary!
    Bill

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

It is on the aluminum cover, not a stamped tag or label. It is possible that the aluminum cover could be switched out, but is fairly rare I would think as you have to take the four bolts out and the locknut etc. If someone was just rebuilding it why would they not use the same cover during re-assembly unless they wanted to change the date. It's not really a wear point or anything.

There is also a casting date on the main body of the steering box. It should reasonably precede the stamped date on the aluminum cover by no more than a few weeks. The aluminum cover is the box assembly date, while the casting number is just that, when the main cast iron body was cast. It is a bit blurry but looks like a 124 0 which translates to May 4th, 1970.

8. billkrz

billkrz Member

I finally was able to look at the steering box aluminum cover and the date stamped is 151 followed by the number 3. As my car was built in June 1973, it looks like this is the original steering box. Thanks to everyone who told me where to look!