Steering Coupler Boot

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by DANZ, Jul 13, 2013.

1. DANZ

DANZ Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Is this rubber boot available? I found some pretty old threads on this subject, I'm in need of one or two, THANKS.

[​IMG]

2. 70moneypit

70moneypit Veteran Member

I just went through all this and ended up buying the later production style (as seen on that image, I think?) from Summit for $14. It's a high quality true automotive production line factory made part with the proper metal insert inside the collar, and fits just like the originals did. It is said to be a Jeep part, which uses the same shaft design.

As for the purist in me, it is cosmetically slightly more squared off on the gator than the old Chevy line part from the early '70's, but not so much it bothers me. I looked and looked, but nobody makes a repro that I could find. You can sometimes find an old used one from a junkyard car that is not cracked or ripped, but they are usually still on the shaft (good luck getting it off without tearing), or of the later style boot from a late 70's or early 80's car. They can still be made to fit, and some members here have went this route to retain more originality.

As for me, pending finding an almost impossible to find NOS part (that would cost who knows how much), I'm very satisfied with the new one I got for $14. it is rock solid, pliable and great looking, and has the proper metal insert and fits perfectly as a direct fit with no mods. I also got a new coupling spring while I was at it, in case mine was worn. They are so cheap and yet again, a true automotive factory part.

OMX-1801801 BOOT STEERING
    OMX-1801809 SPRING COUPLING

Good luck, man!

3. Hey G

Hey G Veteran Member

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Still need to know what CORRECT tooling to use/buy to R&R that spring clip ????

5. Jeraboa

Jeraboa Veteran Member

Dan.......have you tried a PM to Mark to see if his email is still good and if he had any left? I know he hasn't been active on here for several years.

6. DANZ

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  7. DANZ

If you are referring to the clip that secures the boot, I used long nose pliers, worked fine.

8. DANZ

Jerry, I left him a message, I'll try email. Thanks:D