Steering Help

PBZ28

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2017
Would the Borgeson #800130 steering gear and the Dorman #31011 steering coupler be the correct parts for my 1979 Z28 ? Good quality choices ? Or would you experts in Z land recommend something else? I’m just looking to repair my loose steering fair weather cruiser. Center section, ball joints, idler arm, and tie rod ends were replaced in 2018 with Moog parts. Thanks!!!

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I ordered the same box for my 81z. It arrived last week, but my car is still in storage for another week. It looks like a good quality piece and seems to get good reviews. We will see.
I plan to switch out my intermediate shaft and rag joint for a Botgeson shaft and u-joint.

PBZ28

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks Biker! Your choice of the Borgeson steering gear makes me feel much more confident I made a good decision. Is the Dorman rag joint also a good decision? What was your thought process deciding on a u joint in leu of a steering coupler ( rag joint) ?

Dec 15, 2020
When I purchased my 80 Z I replaced everything in the steering and was still very sloppy and it wandered tons.
I replaced the steering box with a rebuilt Cardone it was sloppyer than the one I took out so I took it back and ordered a brand new lars box needless to say it was garbage also so I ordered a Borgeson thought I had a ringer nope this is what the alignment shop said excessive play in steering box so back it went. I looked and reviewed many sites.
Detroit speed have awesome reviews but thay don't know when thay will be in stock so I came across Sweet manufacturing in Kalamazoo Michigan awesome customer service answered all my questions got me a box quick ratio
12:1 with the 200 valve oh my God it is phenomenal a little pricey but its well worth it and 200 bucks cheeper than Detroit speed. I have read alot on boxes on this site Many say that the quality has gone downhill and its hit and miss.
Good luck on your choice but I wouldn't go cheap on brakes or steering
20200622_165218.jpg

Last edited:

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Thanks Biker! Your choice of the Borgeson steering gear makes me feel much more confident I made a good decision. Is the Dorman rag joint also a good decision? What was your thought process deciding on a u joint in leu of a steering coupler ( rag joint) ?
The shaft with the u-joint is likely to be more precise than the rag joint. I just figured I may as well upgrade that if I'm replacing it.
As Chris Greenley said above, Sweet makes excellent stuff. If I had an affordable way to get one in Canada, i would have done that. If you have the choice, have a look at it before you make a decision. Chris has real experience with both boxes, all I have is a new box sitting line my garage at this point.

PBZ28

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for helping guys! I’ll give Sweet a call. Now I just have to figure out the correct rag joint. NPD has a rebuild kit that is just a new rubber disk and bolts. I’ve read the Dorman coupler I mentioned in my first post doesn’t jive with the holes in the intermediate shaft.

Canadian Barton

Veteran Member
Jul 20, 2015
Alberta
I ordered the same box for my 81z. It arrived last week, but my car is still in storage for another week. It looks like a good quality piece and seems to get good reviews. We will see.
I plan to switch out my intermediate shaft and rag joint for a Botgeson shaft and u-joint.
Who did you buy yours from? I'm looking at doing the same, just looking for best option purchasing in Canada.

PBZ28

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2017
Update: The Borgeson box is in and I like it! Steering has a much tighter feel on the road. Takes just a smidge more effort to turn. Found a rag joint part number 1000532 from NPD was a perfect fit to the box and steering shaft. The intermediate shaft did move inward a little after using a cut off wheel on the rivet heads on the old rag joint and trying to get the rivets out with an air hammer ( in the car ).Ended up grinding the rivets all the way flat and they just fell out. I tried to move the intermediate shaft out a little bit with a pry bar but no go. Was still able to have enough spline engagement to put pinch bolt in the rag joint and torque it down on the new steering gear input shaft. This was the best thing I’ve done to improve the steering.