Steering Wheel Column

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Reginald, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Reginald

Reginald New Member

Hello again, I posted a thread a while back about my camaro not being able to start and I figured out the problem, but now there is another, when I'm trying to put the steering wheel back together the column comes up short and I can't seem to get the snap ring back inside the lip and into place, the plate wont go any deeper, any solutions? Thoughts? Thanks again for the big help.

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

All I know is it requires a significant amount of force to push that plate deep enough to get the snap ring on.

Reginald likes this.
  3. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Veteran Member

Are you using the steering wheel puller to push down the lock ring ?

Reginald likes this.
  4. Reginald

Reginald New Member

Yes, I have the tool to push it down, but it still wont go down deep enough to install the lock ring. If I put any more force it it feels like something might break, I have to use pliers after a while as it wpnt turn after a while but still wont go deep enough for the ring.

5. Reginald

Reginald New Member

After I use my hands to tighten it, I use pliers on the lock plate puller/installer after a while and it wont keep going after a bit, but it still not enough to get the lock ring into place.

6. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Veteran Member

make sure the small round plastic piece is thru the lock ring collar and tighten away, it takes ALOT of pressure to get it low enough