stereo ideas

flint9

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2016
st louis mo
want to put a new stereo in my 79z to replace the non working am thats in there now. what to replace with, the classic car audio style? or what else is out there. just looking for good sound, just listen to classic rock. should i switch to the new style? what about speakers, just going with front under dash and two 6x9 in back. want to get front speaker in while i have gauges out for repair.

RMTZ28

Veteran Member
Mar 29, 2015
Abq. nm
want to put a new stereo in my 79z to replace the non working am thats in there now. what to replace with, the classic car audio style? or what else is out there. just looking for good sound, just listen to classic rock. should i switch to the new style? what about speakers, just going with front under dash and two 6x9 in back. want to get front speaker in while i have gauges out for repair.
I installed a stand alone bluetooth unit in my Gto along with a under seat amp with a woofer, which I installed in the original middle speaker area in the back dash. Also two 6x9 in the rear dash and a pioneer dual speaker in the front. Found a old 8 track....
81O0A4bE1fL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71DezyAP8sL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Resized_20210320_192420.jpg
stuck it in the dash for looks only.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
I have (2) 3-1/2” JBL speakers in the front cut & held in place with the orig front speaker and 2 Infinity 6x9 driven by a JVC AM/FM/CD/DVD/USB unit.

gauges_tri3.JPG

speaker%20T%20shirt%20cover1.jpg

flint9

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2016
st louis mo
that looks good did you cut to fit that radio in and what did you use to cut it. what are you using for rear speaker covers.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
My radio mounting holes were not perfect for an OEM radio so for my unit I cut using a hack saw blade and used fiberglass with metal backing for the sides for support then sanded the square to make the hole fit perfectly so the metal unit sleeve or metal cage fit like a glove in the opening, then the unit slid in and locked. I’m using my covers from my Pioneer AM/FM cassette unit which I sprayed black satin instead of leaving it the original silver colour. I would have used the factory type grilles but the threaded studs are not long enough and can’t be changed but the pioneer studs can be unscrewed and replaced with different length threaded bolts.

BAC45877-7FFE-4E99-B200-CF68DD133DFD.jpeg

speakerLR.JPG

console.JPG

Last edited:

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
You should check Best Buy rather than eBay since with BB it’ll be easier to return it if you have any problems.
I bought my stuff from there. No complaints.

Tony65

Jun 27, 2015
Eastern Ma.

I think Custom Autosound has gotten a lot of lousy reviews in the past. Not sure if their quality has improved.

Crutchfield carries Retrosound, and that's what I went with on my car. They give you a choice on the bezel ( black / chrome) and GM style knobs. I'm not sure if mine has bluetooth, but does have the USB plug for a memory stick, which is what I mostly use anyway.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All-Car-Stereos.html ( just put you year and model in for stereo options).