Stock A/C box w/Ls1 swap in 79Z

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by GNC Rick, Mar 31, 2020.

1. GNC Rick

GNC Rick Member

I would like to see pictures and how other people hooked up with the stock evaporator box of their A/C units with LS set-up. I believe I need 2 conversion lines and the correct a/c compressor and brackets to work. I want to save money & time and not invest two grand $$ on a vintage air system. Please share part number used or a vendor I can get the AC conversion lines and the proper compressor would help..
    I have a 79 Z28 with a 98 LS1 & 6-speed and it's computer using PSi wiring harness. Unsure as to which refrigerant I would use as well. Hopefully I gave enough information for a good reply any help is appreciated... this place has been a wonderful source of information.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I didn't go LS but when I converted to a serpentine setup, all the lines and fittings had to be redone. I wound up taking my car to a local (Chattanooga, TN) Thermo King dealer during the slow season and let them do it. Quality work, using commercial grade hoses and fittings. Just an option.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

For custom hoses, I would look into the easy clip fittings. You can customize yourself and the hose has a smaller OD and easier to route.

4. GNC Rick

GNC Rick Member

I will look into both options, good ideas...

5. GNC Rick

GNC Rick Member

Still looking for pictures and what part number is available. I would like to have an old school stock looking engine bay with valve covers, air cleaner, mock distributer and such but with fuel injection and modern power and reliability.

6. GNC Rick

GNC Rick Member

Bump....looking for more replies folks

7. SEADave

SEADave New Member

There is someone on the 2nd gen Trans Am forum who is in the middle of an LS swap and retained the original A/C suitcase. It looks like it required some trimming to both the A/C box itself and to the passenger side exhaust manifold. Look for the thread "1981 TA SE LS-swap."

I had been looking for someone who had done this because the popular aftermarket A/C systems don't remove moisture from the air like the original GM system does. Personally I consider that one of the main reasons for having A/C.

8. GNC Rick

GNC Rick Member

yes, I think you're right on the thread as well as the main reasons for having a/c.... thanks for the input !