Stock rear leafs with Hotchkis front coils?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Evil81, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Evil81

Evil81 Member

My '81 has front hotchkis coils and rear hotchkis leafs along with front and rear hotchkis swaybars and subframe connectors. I put the first set of hotchkis coils and leafs on in 2006 and i just replaced them again recently. Both times the rear end has set about 3/4" lower than the front. I'm looking to give the car a little bit of rake and found that Afco offers stock height replacement leafs with a 153lb rate. The hotchkis leafs are rated between 150-180. The car came stock with the "uphill look" so i'm wondering how a stock replacement leaf will look with a 2" drop in the front? I figure with it already sitting 3/4" lower than the front it should push it up enough to look just right with my 275/60s on 15x9 Welds. Has anyone ran a similar setup?

2. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I’d recommmebd the rear 3inch drop leaf springs from Detroit speed

Or de arch your springs

3. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

PTFB has either the AFCOs or we prefer the to use our GT from Landrum, if you have a chance shoot to Dayton Ohio this weekend for the Trans Am Nationals you can see the product first hand, PTFB is near Nashville TN.

72BIGBLOCK and Zstar like this.
  4. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

GT from Landrum is what Keith at Customworks uses.

5. 79T/Aman

LOL that's funny, "GT from Landrum" is a product of PRO-TOURING F-BODY not Landrum so no he does not, I've noticed you trying to be cute with little innuendos but please inform yourself before making an incorrect comment, please provide the OP some meaningful info instead of being a Keith troll thank you ;-)

6. 79T/Aman

to the OP, you have to be careful, the AFCO leafs have a much higher arch and may end up too hi, of course a lowering block may be used to get you where you need, I was thinking that the PTFB GT leafs and adjustable shackles may get you where you need based on your experience with the Hotchkis leafs, or since you already have new leaf springs we can supply just the shackles to try and raise the back.

Evil81 likes this.
  7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Avoid lowering blocks, get the correct springs/rate and adj. shackles to fine tune if need be, just like 79T/Aman is stating, very good info and direction given here!

Evil81 likes this.
  8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

man I dont know how you guys do it with these 2 and 3 inch drops...

with near factory ride height I still have problems with bottoming out over driveway entries and speed bumps. typically on the subframe connectors since it's the lowest point on the car (exhaust is tucked up pretty tight). but even so, the SFCs are not hanging down that low...

Any rate I'm running hotchkis fronts as well but raised it up 3/4" with a spacer because it was too low.

I chose PTFB 1LE leafs for the rear to get a little bit of lift over my slightly sagging factory 5 leafs, to get about 1/2 take over the front... though still have yet to get a free Saturday to install them...

9. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Is this an inuendo? Kieth is a site sponsor. Are you?

10. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Oops, my bad.