Stock rear leafs with Hotchkis front coils?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Evil81, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Evil81

Evil81 Member

Thank you for the info. I think the 1LE kit might be the best route for me since I run a 225/60/15 on the front and a 275/60/15 on the rear. I like the vintage "street machine" look like it had when I was driving it in highschool lol

2. Evil81

Evil81 Member

I scrape the bottom of the front fascia like crazy and I use to drag my 3" exhaust on everything. I ended up going to a 3" oval exhaust but the collectors still High 5 the street sometimes lol

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I had the same issue on my older 71 Camaro, SFC would hit/drag.

I corrected this on my ‘72, just used a mild piece of 2x3 .125 wall and grafted them in and followed the natural rear upward angle of the sub frame, all tucked above rocker pinch and you grab all of the cross rail and floor area and finished it in the torque boxes all from the inside.

Not noticeable from looking underneath, and with the carpet and floor mats, don’t notice on the interior. Big help in torsional to boot.

4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I cut out almost 3” off the hooker super comps to get them tucked up, lots of work, but no dragging.

Evil81 likes this.
  5. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Veteran Member

Please me more where to get these adjustable shackles.... sometimes I like the "rake" look other times I like the " low end" look.

6. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

PTFB's shackles have two sets of holes to raise the rear and/or add anti squat (alters the instant center)

7. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

yeah I get about a 1/2" of height tunability out of those.

I also got some rubber material from McMaster Carr and essentially made custom spring padd... doing so allows me to tailor another 3/8 to 1/2 of height up or down by making either the top or bottom pad thinner or thicker. though if I make the top pad thinner I have to thicken the bottom pad by the same amount to keep the overall stack up thickness the same and vise versa.

this plus the adjustable shackles allowed me to bandaid the sagging springs temporarily until I install my 1LEs. actually have been running like that for a few months now without any adverse effects.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018