STOP THE PRESSES, need opinions.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Aceshigh, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I found another LS1 from a GTO ,......and I'm trying to figure out if this is the same one I saw last year or not, it seems like it could be actually. I have heard something about GTO LS1's not going into Camaro's for some reason....something....I can't remember. Does ANYONE see why I shouldn't buy this???
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-G...ewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8031850542QQrdZ1

Wayne, i might need you sooner then expected. I'm getting tired of dikin around here, and I'm thinking of just buying the damn thing.

Also, I was wondering if you could take a look at the GTO, he has a 2004 Yellow GTO in his yard, and I want you to see how the front end looks.
    If it's toast, then I don't want the risk of buying a damaged motor. Let me know brotha. You gotta digital camera ??

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  2. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

Depends on the weather and when they're open....and I gotta borrow a camera. But I think I can swing over if you're interested.

If they got the motor out of the car already, it might be hard to get pix of it. See if they have weekend hours and if you can have someone go take a look at it before bidding.

3. Aceshigh

I will send you my digital camera if need be, and I'll give ya $30 for gas.

I'll take care of ya, don't worry.

I've already sent him 2 emails asking just about all of that and more.
    I asked him for a VIN,
    I asked him if it's OUT of the car
    I asked him if it's a front end collision or not.
    I asked him.....hell, what didn't I ask him. lol

Once he replies, I'll probably do an Ebay seller info request so I can call him.
    It will be 10x faster that way.

4. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What are you going to do for a trans? And what are you going to do with the one you have?

5. Aceshigh

First I have to find out what I need to do to get mine to mount to the LS1.
    I see this engine sale comes with a 4L60, so if I can offset the cost I will sell mine, ....maybe.

What it boils down to at this point is how easy will it be for mine to bolt up to that LS1. .
    What I need to modify to do it, Chris @ CK told me to ship it to him and he'll fix it, but I'm not shipping a trans to NY and back.....too much $$$$.

I have to sell my new rebuilt 350 too. I'm thinking $1800 maybe, that will help pay for the installation costs.
    But yeah, I'd like to keep my existing hipo 700R4 if at all possible, and just pay to modify it to accept the LS1.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2006
  6. LS1 1971

LS1 1971 Veteran Member

I am not seeing in the add where a 4L60E comes with it. It does say
    , witch would be a manual six speed trans. I wish the six speeds were cheaper when i bought mine, because i would have went that route. I would definately go with a later auto or 6 speed if you are going to do this swap. The 4L60E is basically just the upgraded version of you tranny with all the weak links weeded out. That and it is electronic.

7. Aceshigh

It does say "Auto" in bold at the beginning of the description, andt then it does say "Six speed" below it in a smaller font. I've already emailed him about it, and he confirmed it's an Auto, it was a typo. He won't sell the engine without the trans.....which is gay because last time he said he would. I'll just have to keep an eye on this one and keep buggin him about it I think he'll bend.

8. driftwood

driftwood Veteran Member

I wish you luck with them budging.Don't get me wrong,I have gotten many parts through them ,mostly at good deals,but when I was looking for an LS1,they would not help me out and I am fairly local.
    Ended up getting one through LS1tech.com's forum shipped with front brakes,column and some other goodies for less than Fparts would sell to me outright.Somewhat stubborn on pricing.
    In my opinion,it would probably best to sell your 700r4 and use the 4l60e.The LS2 and attached 4l60e are designed to work together,the amount you pay to convert the 700r4 to work wouldn't be worth it.The stock 4l60e is pretty stout.
    Good luck though.

9. Aceshigh

Well my 700R4 is a high performance trans built to withstand 650HP......so I don't know.

In all reality I don't see how it could be a problem hookin it up.....but I really don't know. There has GOT to be a flash program for the ECM to think it's a manual.

10. Old School

Old School Veteran Member

Ace, I got a computer that didn't have any program on it at all. I knew a guy who flashed one for me throught the back door kinda thing. He told me to get a vin from a 2002 Z28 6 speed. So, I did. He only charged me $30 to flash it. I'm sure one can be reflashed. Just not sure who can do it where your at. I was originally looking for one that was already set up like I have, and then my friend told me he knew of a new, non flashed computer, and that he knew someone that could flash it.

Another way I think it can be done, lets say that you get a ECM that came from a car with a auto, there is that H.P. tuner program that I'm sure can take out the auto codes out. But those programs are $500 ish, and all you need it is for that purpose, not worth it. Those programs are only worth it if you have more tuning to do if you change the cam, heads, ect. ect.

Hope this helps,
    Michael