Storage Units

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bfmgoalie, Jan 4, 2019.

1. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Seeing I'll be losing my three stall garage, I'll need somewhere to store a few things such as my car, HD, tools and a few other items. Looking for a suggestion on size. Thanks

2. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Off site rental units or backyard storage?
    Would think a 10x20 minimum if you want a car in it.

3. MidniteZ

MidniteZ Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If just for a car, 10x20 should work fine. Had one for my '79's for several years. Not alot of side room with these big doors but you can get it in there for storage.

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Friend of mine got into a situation like this some years ago. Bought an old semi trailer for storage. Get one pretty cheap if you can find out how to do it and the aluminum body lasts about forever. Lots of room in one. Get the trucks/tires off of it and it's low to the ground. Not sure how to go about getting one, he worked for UPS at the time. Storage units run into money over time though.

5. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I did some work to the house and bought a 6X12 enclosed trailer and put stuff in it. Obviously, you'll need a bigger trailer than that. Get a two car enlosed and you may be surprised at how much you can get in there. A place to park it though...

6. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member

I buy the used shipping containers. 1967 Cadillac Eldorado fit in it. Stored it there for years. I pay around 1200 for a good dry 20 footer with working double doors one end.

7. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

I did this for one of my 67s. After I got the car out of there, I figured out that it would have been cheaper to buy a used 24' enclosed car trailer. Then I would have something to show for the expenditure, and could recoup my investment if I sold it. Instead, I basically threw the money away. Learn from my short sightedness/stupid decision.

8. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The thing about trailers and containers is you have to have a place to put them.

Good luck Brian. Not sure where you're headed, but I have noticed that storage sites in rural locations are WAY cheaper than city/suburb. I passed a place in rural VA last week listing $80/mo for a 10x20, around that's minimum $200/mo.
    I hate to say it, but if the stuff is going to sit in storage, maybe a sale is a better idea?

9. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

I have my 8.5x20 enclosed trailer parked on the side of my house with the back facing the front yard. Using it as a garage for the car and camping when I go on trips.

10. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Brian

I'm making an assumption that you might be relocating and getting either an apartment/condo/townhouse at the new location. This most likely takes out the enclosed trailer/shipping container option. Sometimes there are residents that don't drive that might be willing to rent you their garage. The advantage to this is you still have access to your toys without having to drive to a storage location.

Years ago, when I only had a 1 stall garage (and 5 vehicles - 2 of which were toy cars) - my next door neighbor was an 83 year old widow that didn't drive. She had a 2 stall garage. We worked out a deal where I cut her grass in exchange for free storage.

As far as size for a storage locker - 10 x 20 could work. Your Camaro is about 16' long and a little over 6' wide - so a 10 x 20 will be pretty tight to get both your Camaro and the Harley in with a tool box and other items to boot. There is also the problem that you have to pull the Camaro out to get the HD out - or vice versa.