Straightening Body

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Strange81Z, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Strange81Z

Strange81Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So my 81Z was in a wreck before I got it. I replaced the subframe but the body still isn’t straight. I need to get it straitened so that my drivetrain is straight and my doors are able to close correctly. What would it cost to get that done? Roughly?

2. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

Depends on the extent of the damage most body shops are going to be time and material at their standard shop rate. Most likely it will need be to put on the frame rack so it can be measured and pulled.

3. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Where was the damage? Front clip? Or side damage? Have you taken measurements to see if your floorboards are tweaked? How about the firewall?

If it was a front collision, you should be able to take a cross measurement from the bottom of the A pillar to the front hood adjustment on the opposite side of the radiator core support. Do this across measurement on each side and see if they match.

We did this on mine because it, too was in a front end collision. We had to move the front sheetmetal over to get it "square". All of the gaps and body lines are perfect on mine.

Strange81Z likes this.
  4. Strange81Z

I haven’t taken measurements yet as I’m working on my 79. I was really just wanting an idea. Like are we talking hundreds or a few thousand or like ten thousand.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hard to say until measurements indicate what is “off”.

Is the roof straight?

Does the front and rear glass fit correctly?

Are there any noticeable kinks in the unibody shell?

6. Strange81Z

Yea the T-tops fit, the glass front and rear fit. My transmission needed about 1/4” drilled in the crossmember hole to get it to drop in and allow the motor mount bolts to get through. It’s mainly passenger door. There just isn’t enough space between the poller and rear quarter for the door to fit without hitting when I close it.

7. Strange81Z

The damage was on the front driver side. That’s where the subframe had damage. Not sure why the passenger door is the biggest problem area.

I need to make some measurements.

8. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Also get underneath and see where the subframe alignment holes are in relation to the holes in the body. Theoretically, they're supposed to line up with a (dowel) rod running through the hole on the subframe and into the body....but obviously some cars will need the subframe tweaked to get the fenders and doors lined up...and those holes may just have to be off a little.

As it goes, get your doors lined up first to the rear door jam/quarter panel. There's enough adjustment in the front clip and subframe that you should be able to line up everything in front of the doors...IF the undercarriage isn't FUBAR. The fact that all the glass fits is good...but hopefully the floorplan isn't out of whack.

STUCKINCALI likes this.
  9. Strange81Z

When I inst

When I installed the new subframe I alighned the subframe to the body with the correct pins. It was a bitch to get them to align but I did get it done. Like I said though I had to open the hole in my transmission cross member to get the trans to drop into place.

10. Z-Life

Z-Life Nasty Member

Which direction (driver or passenger) did you have to move transmission to get it to bolt in? Just by reading this thread so far it sounds obvious.
    Impact front left was left enough to push frame back and to the right, your right side rear sub frame body mount is moved up and back a bit causing the passenger side door to be farther back than it should making it hit. I agree with @GoldenOne7710 get the doors fitting, they probably need to pull from the body mount. The body mount doesnt have to be exactly right but the a pillar does, you can make adjustment on sub frame if body mount is high use shims/washers, if its back a little widen hole but weld a big washer to re-center the bushings...good luck man

Strange81Z likes this.