Street thumper - how much can GM rollers take? Are LS lifters better?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by fstarocka, Jan 29, 2021.

1. fstarocka

fstarocka Member

On the final leg of my 383 build, comp beehive springs, 1.6 full roller comp rockers, 2.02/1.6 aftermarket ALU heads (+- 265 cfm intake at 600 lift), comp xr288 cam, vic jr, 850 holley, 373 rear, 3k stall, LT headers 1-5/8 or 1-3/4..

Wondering if the LS lifters are the same as the GM L31 ones? If they are indeed better then I will use them -

Otherwise if the same and the LS can rev almost to 7k stock then the L31 lifters will be fine- trying to determine if and by what margin its necessary to spend $ on exotic lifters now or later-

BTR has a set of LS lifters for $135 or there abouts iirc..

Thoughts?

Its possible I might have the intake off for testing - so no biggy to swap lifters at a later stage..

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  2. hoppy

hoppy New Member

Sbc L31 lifters and ls lifters are the same

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

You do raise a good question though. All things being equal, what allows an LS engine to handle 6800 rpm without floating the valves? Lighter valves than a roller lifter SBC?

4. fstarocka

fstarocka Member

In my very inexperienced guess - its probably the spring setup.. I cant see much of a difference between 11/32 and 8mm stem valve making so much difference - they are about the same.. My 2 dollar bet would be the springs are why.. The beehive with its progressive action vs regular coiled ones on the L31/hot rods.

fwiw this is the reason I bought beehives - superior action in every way-

TTR230 likes this.
  5. biker

biker Veteran Member

Thanks man. I've been considering my valve springs as a potential weak point since they came with my heads and while I know the specs, I dont know who makes them. Everyone says how great the beehive style is, so it might be a wise upgrade.

6. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

Lifter belt & suspenders.
    Depending on how you'll use it: Johnson 2110 or reduced travel 2110R; surrender wallet.
    Check geometry/measure pushrod length ... again.

7. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

I've successfully revved a stock bottom end 350 with stock valve springs to 7500 rpms with no problem. What makes the LS lifters better? Probably luck.