Stripped Screw Hole Fix?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by badazz81z28, Jan 10, 2021.

1. FooFighter

FooFighter Member Gold Member

I have two options that will work well for you.
    1. As someone already mentioned JB Weld epoxy, the kind where you cut two pieces of clay and mix them together by hand. Stuff some of that in the hole and you can drill and tap it, or just stuff some in the hole (but don't fill it) and don't drill and tap it, just run the machine srew into it.
    2. POR Patch by POR 15. It's in a metal tube that you squeeze by hand, comes out like caulk. I can't tell you how many countless things I have fixed with this stuff. You can glue metal to metal with this stuff and the metal will tear before the POR gives out. Its strong as SuperMan. Dab some of it in the hole (but don't fully fill the hole) and let it dry and I guarantee you a machine screw will bite into it and hold. Gotta let it dry overnight though. If you don't have some, get some! Store it in the fridge so it doesn't harden up.
    https://www.por15.com/por-15-patch-filler-and-seam-sealer

KingofThings likes this.
  2. chuck13

chuck13 Member

The Chinese tool store has the Rivnut tool pretty cheap.And it works suprisingly well for what it is,Pretty sure theres a #8
    insert included with it.As far as I can remember all the inserts are NC thread..

KingofThings likes this.
  3. 80WA7113

80WA7113 Veteran Member

Harbor Freight has a rivnut tool set.

FastenPro
    3-in-1 Riveter Kit

Click the link above and read the specs. I've used this tool many times to fix the exact problem you're having (stripped hole in metal) and have always had great success. Like I said, it provides a permanent fix. I highly doubt you'll have any luck going the epoxy / JB Weld route...but IF you do (and that's a skeptical IF), post pictures of your fix.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Interesting! I did not know they came that small!

KingofThings likes this.
  5. 80WA7113

80WA7113 Veteran Member

Yes siree, you can repair holes that take all the way down to 6-32 screws with that tool. The beauty part is, you don't have to drill a hole too much bigger that what you've got now. They're the nuts for just this kind of repair...try it once and you'll be hooked.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

If its for the kick plate, I'd want the original screw back in it to keep the right look to it. Can't get that with rivnuts. Just my 2 cents.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. FooFighter

FooFighter Member Gold Member

Ya if its only a sill plate the POR or Epoxy would work fine. I've used the POR and Epoxy on areas that require more strength than a sill plate.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. ISRcamaro

ISRcamaro Veteran Member

As far as I know he could also use Belzona Super Metal

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

Ha! THAT's the Chinese store! ;)

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Veteran Member

The 2 best ways to fix the issue IMO:
    1. Rivnuts. I've used them in my career, but never my car, but I can see how they could work in this scenario. And they make a low profile version for low clearance areas.
    2. Weld the hole. I know you already said you don't want to do this and I get it if you don't have the equipment and skill, but it's the best way to do it and keep it close to original. If you are prepared to do this job it'll take ~1.5 hours to remove sill plate, remove paint around hole, weld (protect interior with a tarp), grind, drill new hole, repaint and reattach sill plate.
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.