Stroker LS thoughts

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by biker, Oct 3, 2021.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

A
    Agreed. When I get looking at the power people get out of these things with a stock 6.0, it's pretty amazing. A well assembled stock rotating assembly can handle a ton of power, but we are only looking for 550ish. Really doesn't look difficult with the cams and heads available.

2. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

About 6-7 years ago I built a 427 cube LS engine. Started out with a LS2 block. Race Engine Development (RED) out of CA cut out the stock sleeves, machined the block and installed Darton sleeves that are longer than the stock sleeves so no piston rock problems. I used a Manley forged stroker assembly that my builder likes. L92 heads. LS3 intake. Medium size cam that worked great with power brakes. Was super easy to tune. Did 490 rwhp behind a 4L60E in a 67 Nova. Ran great. I've since sold the car but talked to the new owner said it has not missed a beat.
    RED can supply a block or you can supply your own.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Didn’t really say GM couldn’t, of course they could. They didn’t need to for one good reason like you said, fuel consumption not to mention the LSA was a better street option. The LS7 had an intended purpose, which is why I have one.

4. Ihada70Z28B4

Ihada70Z28B4 Veteran Member

I'd leave the stroke stock and set up the block for boost. With the low cost of turbo options out there you can have the reliability of stock bottom end with a mild cam and easily make 500 or more hp.

5. biker

biker Veteran Member

I did consider that, but I'm not crazy about turbos for some reason. Makes the engine bay very busy looking, and I would have to research good parts. I don't want to use Chinese ebay stuff if I go that route.

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What vehicle is this going in anyways?

7. biker

biker Veteran Member

Ideally another Z, but possibly an 80's G body (Monte Carlo, Regal etc...). Depending on what the young lad finds first.

8. streak

streak Member

Mixing purposes and some misconceptions, maybe I can clear some stuff up. People destroking want a high rpm LS with stable valvetrain and power band above 6.5k-9k for drag racing They SHIFT at 9k-9.5k so the band doesn't go below 6.5k. Does anyone drive like that? For an LS that is driven a 4" stroke LS is fine but it's the limit. There is some piston rock when people try to turn an LS3 into a 427 because they're going beyond 4". Not every 427 is created equal. A 408 with 4" stroke will have a killer torque curve and live a happy life if put together with quality parts.

An LS7 is 4.130x4.00 to get 427. There's no piston rock but sucks at boost for different reasons.
    With an Ls3 they're doing slightly different bore sizes and 4.1 or 4.125 strokes. Boost will murder these. The cylinder walls are too short and the piston skirts start to rock/slap. It can be limited slightly with a specific piston/ring design but you're better off sleeving the block and doing it right.

Hope that helps.

9. biker

biker Veteran Member

Excellent man, thanks for the insight. You nailed exactly why I wanted to go with a stroker. Good solid fat torque curve for street, good driveability with legs up to 6500. I think the 3.90 stroke with a 4.030 bore or 6.2 block would be a pretty decent build with the right pistons, 6.125 rods and 10.5:1 scr with full electronic engine mgmt. There are a number of cams that will work with that and make 500+hp at the crank.

10. procharged81

procharged81 Veteran Member

FWIW…

I’m not doing a LS motor, but sticking with a SBC. I just bought a new complete rotating assy from a well known boosted motor guy out in MI. He told me the same thing….short stroke, big bore, long rod is the way to go. Keep the thrust off the bottom of cylinder walls, pressure off ring pack. I know you aren’t talking boost and SBC, but the theory is the same. I was all about a 427 small block, but not now for my application. Most of Nelson’s motors, if not all are boosted.

biker likes this.