stroker madnes ?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by dutch73camaro, May 29, 2018.

1. dutch73camaro

dutch73camaro Veteran Member

hi, i'm reading a lot about building a stroker from an SBC

i picked up an running 350 2 bolt
    V1101CKR
    GM 3970010 ( also 010 behind the timing chain and by the oilfilter )
    is this an high nickel engine ?

the most common is building an 383l but are there other good options ?
    reading also about 406 or even 427 strokers.

my plan is to fully rebuild the engine, convert it to 4 bolt or wich full brace "10 bolt''
    aluminum heads and higher compression.

but what to do, 355 / 383 or even more.

2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Here is my take on SB Chevy's. I have built lots O SB over my lifetime and when you wanted to go fast back in the day when the little SB Chevy could not get the job done, you went to a BB Chevy, that's just the way it was for us. Now, you can build a decent 350 Vortec or a 406 pretty cheap that will knock the pants of most of the BB's GM built from the factory. If you do it right 500hp from a 350 is not out of the question and one can get almost 600hp from a 406 with good heads. The difference is the TQ. Big Blocks still rule on this, but Small Blocks are getting real close to those TQ. numbers that the 454's make. IMO build a cheap down and dirty 406, to me they are still the best production SB the factory ever made.

3. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

LOL this is some wishful thinking.
    A 350 with vortec heads or a cheap 406 build will not touch the factory 67-71 big blocks, and probably not the early 70s either.
    As for a 350 makes 500 horsepower--only in a magazine. They can make 450 horse no problem, but a 350 making 500 horse.. Yeah that doesn't happen very often. 600 horse out of a 406? Again, won't happen often. Especially on the cheap.
    My friend has a 327.. 13:1 huge cam race car type of build.. 4.56 5000 stall 3000lb car transbrake and all that good stuff.
    His car weighs 1000lbs less than mine and still couldn't outrun me. There is NO replacement for displacement.. Unless you have a turbo

4. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Hi. I certainly don’t have the experience these guys have, but as the stroke gets longer, it’s fitting everything in the block that can be more of a challenge. Smaller base circle cam is an option to help, but with a OEM block you might be pushing it when it comes to grinding clearances - danger of hitting water, certainly some brinkmanship there. This book might be of help:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Build-...-3&keywords=How+to+build+big+inch+small+block

Good luck with your build.

5. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

I built a stroker for my l98 1990 corvette
    With certain kits you need hardly any.. or minimal grinding. Depends on a lot of things: core shift, rod bolts, rod size, water jacket clearances when grinding.
    Big blocks are easier to stroke. Mine required nothing. Assembled just like a stocker(minus the studded mains)

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

A lot depends on any power adders you might ad. I used a 350 Bowtie block. Bored 040 over with a Forged stroker Scat crank shaft ARP fasteners ,Eldelbrock Prototype Performer RPM Ported and port match.with 2.05/160 valves . It comes around 377 cubic inches . And is supercharged with a Weiand 142 mini-blower .It makes close to 500 HP. If you want to use that block I would have it checked and studded. And or start with a 4 bolt main block least .Then go from there.

7. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

You are in the Netherlands and I have no idea what parts cost there or how easy it is to find parts for the chevy engines.
    My opinion from playing with dirt track and drag stuff is the 4 bolt block is not needed. in fact I seen many more cracked 4 bolt blocks than 2 bolt.. the area where the 2 extra bolts go into the block on the 4 bolt is very thin and prone to cracking there.
    If everything is square and round where it should be and you did not build it excessively tight the engine will live a long happy life.
    I shift my 2 bolt blocks at 7400+ daily and they never had any issues with bearings or wear.

I run cast cranks and stock rod and head bolts also. never had that stuff fail.
    It is money saved. But nothing wrong with ARP bolts if budget allows.
    Use a rod bolt stretch gauge if you have access to one. I made mine.

The 350 is fine and in the right vehicle will run very well and hook up better than the larger cube deals.
    But it all depends on how much money you have and how fast you really want to go and most important how well you can tune.

If you are off on the tune or the build you will be 80+ HP down.
    Here is a cheap easy 355" that most people could duplicate.
    And it has ran many 11.94's in a 3300lb Nova. I built this for a friend a fun 91 octane daily driver.
    http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-Nova-Timeslip-14820.html

If the converter would stall higher than 2200 it may be better. or if he shifted at a different RPM it may have cut some time off of it. It was his baby not mine. But not bad for a cheap 355"

8. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

383 stroker kit can be, as 76z28 mentions, a drop in deal, requiring no grinding for clearances. My Scat 385 stroker rotating assembly is on its way to me, Scat informing me that a standard base circle cam will be fine but do check all clearances, especially at the pan rails. I was referring to the larger stroke cranks, as mentioned by the OP, such as 4.00” - I’m playing safe this time, but those big cubes are alluring.....

9. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Advice for the wise... do not stick a 4" stroke crank in a stock cam location block the cam clearance is horrid and a lot of grinding on the rods and very small base circle cam will be needed.
    If you attempt it have fun.
    Get a raised cam tunnel block and BBC journal size and that opens up a whole new world.

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

You would cry if I told you how much I have in both my 358 and my 406. My 358 has beat many a 454 at the track, it can be done just need the right combo. I have another 406 forged piston short block sitting in the garage right now with no home. Just to show you how it's done, I bought a set of early large port Vortec head castings for $300 from an NHRA guy because the updated ones came out. The heads will support 600 hp out of the box. I guess I will put them on the fresh 406 with a hyd cam, Holley 300-36 and see what she does. Used to run NOS all the time but quit as it's 9 to 10 bucks a pound here. The expensive part now is the machine work, labor cost is pretty high now, parts are still pretty reasonable for a SB Chevy.