stroker rod and piston selection opinions

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by LT1 WS6, Feb 25, 2016.

1. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

This right here is why I made this post. I completely forgot the crank is different for a 6.0 rod motor. I have a crank for 5.7 in rods. It's this one
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sca-435050l/overview/

So I spent my time thinking about the wrong thing. Oh well. Question is what to do now. I guess the easiest thing would be just go 5.7in rods and pistons. I can't see that being a problem really. Except cost is higher for the remaining components. I could always sell the crank and start over. It's brand new after all. I'll figure it out.

One thing I did notice is Scat doesn't offer a 3.75 crank with 6in rods. It's a 3.8 crank. How much does that matter or is that normal for 6in rod stroker cranks for a SBC?

Thanks

2. Rust eater

Rust eater Veteran Member

The 5.7 rod crank will work with 6 inch rods not the other way around. So you could still build a 6 inch motor. I am pretty sure scat still offers a 6 inch crank. On a side note you should weight match all your parts and have everything balanced at your machine shop prior to final assembly. that means test fitting and relieving any areas on the rotating assy. Even the best parts out of the box might not be the same weight.

3. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

Thanks! I'm definitely planning to have everything balanced at the shop. I've already spoken with him about this and what components they want me to bring them. Part of the reason I cared about weight of the components was to make is easier to balance.

I'm also having them do all the machining. I'm just doing the prior research since I'm bringing the parts to them.

SCAT's stroker crank for 6 inch rods is listed as being a 3.8 inch stroke on their website, not the typical 3.75 inch.

4. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Find out from the crank manufacturer if there is a minimum rod length requirement. Some internally balanced cranks have larger diameter counterweights that require longer rods. Usually 5.7" rods will clear any of the popular 3.75" internally balanced small block cranks,but it pays to check.

5. LT1 WS6

LT1 WS6 Veteran Member

Heard back from SCAT. They said the 6 inch rods will work with the 5.7 inch crank. I told them the expected power output of the engine, too. They recommended their I beam rods with 7/16" bolts. How does that sound to everyone?

Thanks

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds like what I used