Sub Frame Bolt Cage

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by NeoNeuro, Jan 5, 2017.

1. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

All was going well as I was removing the subframe from my 78Z...until I got to the last bolt. The nut spun in the cage and bent the bejesus out of it. It was the one on the front driver side, so I was able to get a wrench on it and get the bolt out.
    Now I'm pondering what to do to repair the damage. Should I try to repair the cage (put the nut back inside and beat it back into some semblance of its original shape) or should I get rid of it completely? Can I just weld the nut to the body or does it need to move for alignment? It's a fairly tight location, so I figure pretty much any repair is going to be a PITA.
    One idea that just came to mind is to get rid of the cage and nut and use a thick fender washer and either a self-locking nut or a nut with a jamb nut.
    Any thoughts or advice? Thanks.

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

The nut needs to be able to move so that you can adjust the frame alignment. As for a repair others will chime in. I haven't had that issue. Just did my body bushings yesterday and the bolts came right out.