Subaru reliability?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by CamaroMan79, Aug 30, 2014.

1. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The Alt. I changed because I felt it was time
    I asked about the head gaskets when I purchased and was told that problem was solved, NOT
    The CV boots split, one side at a time. Replaced the boot and got a bad vibration.then found out that unless you put the bearings back exactly the way they come out you get a vibration
    Factory coil was replaced with one from NAPA,lasted only 2 years. Needed car and got another from napa
    A/C compressor is tiny for weight savings and imploded.was told that this is not abnormal for the miles on car.

Head gaskets are the only thing I feel are not expected repairs

2. Brian Callahan

Brian Callahan Veteran Member

When I worked as an engineer at Ford in the '90s the target for all part designs was 150,000 miles or 10 years, whichever came first. One accelerated test for throttle bodies for example was cycling them 1,000,000 times. I left in late 1997 so I don't know what they target these days.

I have heard the test methods are more sophisticated now. We used to test stuff with dimensions in the middle of the design and manufacturing tolerance range for many hours. That approach can miss stuff that fails in the field. Now they focus less on long test hours and instead on particular failure modes. They will intentionally build test parts right at the worst-case limit of the dimensions and test them in the worst-case condition, to make sure that failure mode doesn't happen. Next, they will amp up the condition beyond worst-case until it does fail, to understand how much margin the design has. It's a much smarter approach.

3. Devildog

Devildog Veteran Member

I guess it all depends on what you call a money pit. I think that changing a coil and plug wires at a hair over 100K is simply routine maintenance and not a big deal. If the Chinese built NAPA coil only lasted another 2 years, I'm not sure that's Subaru's fault.

An alternator at over 100K, again. Again, you got 100,000 miles out of an alternator. Good for you, in my book that's fantastic.

I'll give you an example of a real money pit. My wife's 98 Gran Prix GTP. Before that car hit 50,000 miles it needed a new alternator, new water pump, new front hub bearing, new wiper transmission, and it had developed the dreaded intake manifold gasket leak. I was sinking tons of money into that F-ing turd while I was still making payments on it. GM piece of crap.

Again, I'll take my 4 Runner or my wife's Subaru over ANYTHING GM makes any day of the week.

4. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thank you, that was a very interesting post. its cool to hear about how they do that.

5. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Over 200,000K on one of our work trucks. Been used hard and put away wet towing and plowing its whole life. List of repairs............

1. Intake gasket with updated design. Did it myself and was fairly simple. Done around 180,000 miles.

2. 1 Radiator

3. 1 Water pump

4. 1 Alternator

5. Brake lines last fall at around 200,000K (remember it is a plow truck)

6. 2 sets of front brake pads and 1 set of rear shoes. Original rotors and drums still

These are all typical wear items for something with 200K. I personally wont buy anything but GM trucks and SUV's.

6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

^ that's a truck , not a passenger car . 2000s gm v6 are head gasket destroyers .

7. Kris g

Kris g Veteran Member

I have an 07 Impreza that I bought new. 125000KM, I have changed to oil sending units at $25 each. Car is a rock, absolutely bulletproof. Absolutely amazing in the winter and 100% reliable. Never had the Head Gasket issues as I believe they were fixed before 07.

I also have a 2012 Impreza Sport I bought used about a year ago. Much more comfortable, but a little softer. The new 2.0 is a lot better on gas as well.

I test drove a 3.6R before I bought the 2012 but ended up woth the impreza as it was the wifes turn for the new car and she like the Impreza :). The 3.6R was an awesome ride though, I am thinking of trading the 07 next year and it will either be a WRX or a 3.6R.

To re-iterate from a previous post, the Subarus do like their regular maintenance, especially when it comes to coolant and they will always use oil. It is a normal part of the boxer engine. I can handle checking my oil once a month and adding some, what I don't miss is the constant breakage of little parts that end up either being not worth fixing or costing me $200 every 3 months I had with my GMs and Mazdas.

At this point I do not even test drive other manufacturers.

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

2006 Pontiac Torrent - 118,000 miles.

Other than normal maintenance (oil changes, brakes (once about 6 months ago), tranny flush, radiator flush, plugs and two sets of tires), only a $300.00 AC repair last year.

My daughters 2004 Pontiac Aztek has about 160,000 on it. Engine untouched except for fluids and plugs. Other than that, brakes, tires and a hub bearing.

Both are still in use as daily drivers.

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

seemed you got the 2 that didn't have problems out of the 35 million .
    http://www.chevroletproblems.com/problems/dex-cool.shtml...The class action contends that in over 35 million GM vehicles manufactured from 1995 to 2004, GM’s “Dex-Cool” coolant caused serious car problems such as plugged radiators from coolant sludge, as well as head gasket and intake gasket failure possibly resulting in engine damage. GM marketed Dex-Cool coolant as good for 150,000 miles or 5 years without needing to be flushed and replaced with new coolant.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  10. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

We're getting off the path here.....