subframe connectors 1981 z28 t top

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by geronimo, May 31, 2021.

1. geronimo

geronimo New Member

2. geronimo

geronimo New Member

There's no sag in the bottom of my car I know that's not the problem

Attached Files:

3. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Well geronimo thats good news! Besides your car looks awesome and im sure its not that either. I have a question for Gary. If the T-top model was weak then why did GM build so many between 79 and 81? They could have installed factory subframe connectors at an extra charge on purchase. They must have known this no?

4. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

GM was aware of many flaws with the F-body platform, most of it just comes down to cost saving measures. It is pretty well known that t-top cars are weaker and subframe connectors help immensely. They sold a bunch because people liked them, simple as that.

Bentley likes this.
  5. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Very interesting thank you SPG.

6. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

I agree with Carhead. I seriously doubt that T-top cars sag unless maybe they were used to film an episode of "Dukes of Hazard". Even then it would show in the roof, the weakest part. Has anyone ever seen an Fbody with a buckled roof between the T-tops? Frame connectors are good for 'beaming' stiffness but are not that much help with torsional stiffness which is what really takes a hit when you remove that much of the roof. I don't think they are worth the extra weight on most cars. A t-roof car is never going to have the structural integrity of a full roof car unless it's caged. I would install a pair of G braces under the hood and call it a day. I know this goes against the conventional wisdom. It's just my opinion. :eek:

Francesco and TTR230 like this.
  7. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Hi! I think you have to just put it all in context. From what i have learned on the forum by reading threads, the application comes in play, the condition of the body, will it be a racer or driver etc. I have never seen or heard of a sagging t-top car but i guess if it does happen then maybe its been neglected for years and then pounded with HP. I dont know. Im curious to find out why geronimo has a hard time putting in his connectors.

8. procharged81

procharged81 Veteran Member

Im using these with their solid bushing all around. Fit is great and stiffened up the body quite a bit

Francesco and Lowend like this.
  9. screamindemon

screamindemon Veteran Member

I used hotchkis on my 81 t-top and they fit perfectly
    F291C060-3B15-4601-9B5B-A9717F81E882.jpeg 4BD0C86C-BD5C-445F-B647-69C87F0ED3C0.jpeg AFD9962E-863C-48FB-AE8B-6C004647A021.png .

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

just do not buy competition engineering connectors they don't fit the rear subframe horns. not sure what there problem is as they advertise them as a direct fit.

carhead22000 likes this.