Substitute for carpet underlayment?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Chaindrive, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Chaindrive

Chaindrive Veteran Member

We removed the old carpet to clean the floor of any surface rust and to seal it with good anti-rust primer, as well as to install new carpet.

The floor was in great shape, as is most of the tar/asphalt/whatever-it-is underlayment. But some of that underlayment was crumbled falling apart. I bought top-of-the-line carpet from ACC with the jute padding attached. But I would like to replace the missing sections of the underlayment without buying an entire kit I don't need for $75.

The driver's side floor was, of course, the place that wore the most and now that we have installed headers, it will also be a lot hotter with no underlayment.

What else that I can buy locally that will work for replacing that stuff?

2. wayback

wayback Veteran Member

You could try piecing in hand-cut sections of closed-cell foam insulation. The best quality material for this would probably be found in a cheap sleeping bag pad used for tent camping. The edges of the foam might have to be taper cut to blend in with the asphalt stuff. It would do a good job of sound insulating but I'm not sure how well it would stand up to high heat.

3. Chaindrive

I was/am concerned with insulating the floor, especially under the driver and passenger floorpans where the headers are. Once I switched to looking for "sound deadener" I found tons of posts and info on the subject here.

It looks like there is peel and stick stuff available at Lowes and such, but it also seems there is much discussion about melting properties and fumes and odors and stuff due to the asphalt material. But if that was a problem, then why is that what the factory used?

It looks like there are so many choices and so many schools of thought on the subject -- not to mention price ranges -- making a decision will be tough. Some folks seem extremely obsessed with sound proofing; I'm more concerned with keeping my feet cool. But I can assure you, price and quick availability will be what influences me right now.

I also read vague comments about ACC carpet fitting better over thinner insulation. I bought the heavily padded deluxe ACC carpet, so I probably need to pursue that issue.

Thanks for the closed cell foam suggestion, wayback!

4. crazygreek89

crazygreek89 Member

I'm in the same boat as your right now. I'm more about keeping my feet cool than the sound. NPD and several vendors sell this OE 7 pc. sound deadening material that fits under the carpet, but just how good is it for heat shielding? I have also found firewall pads that block heat as well but that would require taking the entire dash apart.

Anyone with solid info please chime in here?

5. 81z377ci

81z377ci Member

I'm going to be using Hushmat when I do my carpet. Has sound deadening AND thermal protection. Dynamat offers the same basic stuff.

Many car stereo places should be able to offer this type of material. Or you can get it from Eckler's (Rick's) Camaro, Summit, Jegs etc..

6. crazygreek89

crazygreek89 Member

http://www.eastwood.com/ultra-bulk-kit-30-sheets-12-1in-x-23in-silver.html

Is this enough to treat an entire 79 Camaro? Entire floor pan, doors and trunk?

7. cubangt

cubangt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

that seems like a lot for 1/8thick material. Im no expert, but i got the fatmat which is the same thickness and got 100sq ft and i have done a door on 99 Trans am, my entire back seat wall, passenger side up to the front floor pan, part of the drivers side floor and may not have enough, i plan on doing the rear deck, the firewall and doors as well. So i may end up getting another package of it. You can get the kit for $129 http://www.fatmat.com/bulk/fatmat/100.html
    I also have the new carpet with the jute attached to it as well, so hopefully it will do a good job.

8. crazygreek89

crazygreek89 Member

FatMat looks interesting and reasonable but how well does it handle against heat? I'm looking to sound proof and heat proof.

9. cubangt

cubangt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Im looking for both sound and heat, but i wont know for sure what it will do until im done.. but on their site there is another product they sell that will help with the heat states up to 250 degrees
    http://www.fatmat.com/liners/floor/liner.html

10. Chaindrive

All of those "automotive specific" deadener products are unreasonably expensive, imo. So today, I spent some time finding alternatives locally. Here's what I came up with (bear in mind I'm more concerned with insulating properties than accoustics, though the two go hand in hand.):

Carpetland: I picked up some very thin, very dense, jute-style insulating underlayment for simulated wood flooring and the like. It is not carpet padding. It is much firmer and thinner. It has an attached plastic vapor barrier and the sales guy told me he helped his buddy do his '79 Trans Am with it and it worked great. Easy to cut and shape, conforms well, and a little spray adhesive was all it needed. It is very much like the factory padding, but more dense, thinner, and it uses plastic vapor barrier instead of tar/asphalt. He claimed the results were outstanding for heat protection in the floorboard area and it deadened sound very well, too. My Cost: $27 for 17 feet of a 4 foot wide roll, or 68 square feet.

On to Menards: The foil-backed asphalt "Peel and stick" was available for $17 for a 6 inch by 25 foot roll (12 1/2 square feet). It is self adhesive, but melts easily with the application of my Zippo for just a few seconds to the foil side and even faster when applied to the tar side. Very smelly when hot, but cuts and conforms easily and really sticks well. Probably good for areas away from heat sources as vibration-damping material, like inside the doors.

While still at Menards, I then found what I believe to be the best yet: A thin, dense, closed-cell foam insulation wrap for air ducts with a heavy foil facing much like the Peel 'n Stick. It is somewhere close to 1/4 inch thick and is self-adhesive. It will do anything the Peel and Stick will do, but without the oily tar substrate. It was even cheaper by half: $15 for a 1 foot by 25 foot roll.

For $6, I picked up a double-aluminum-faced sheet of corrugated board (cardboard) used to box and insulated floor joists for cold air returns. It looks like it will work perfect with a little insulation glued on for the trunk divider board.

I definitely now have more than enough to get the job done and can pick and choose what materials to use where and in what combination and thickness. And I spent less than $60.

EDIT: I need to correct some information about the foil and foam product. I was erroneous in my description from memory. it is only 15' long and 1/8" thick; not 25" by 1/4". Sorry. Now, quoting from the package:

"Frost King brand: "DUCT INSULATION - Self Adhesive Foil and Foam. Use on both Heating and Air Conditioning ducts. Conforms to sharp corners. Insulates and Stops Vibrations. 12" wide, 1/8" thick, 15' long. R-value 3.0".

The cost was $15 for a roll or $1 per square foot. An R-value of three from a material only 1/8" thick is outstanding. Plus there is the huge added benefit of the radiant heat reflectivity offered by the foil facing that does not influence the R-rating, which only rates conductive heat transference. That R-rating alone means one inch (8 layers) of this stuff would equal what many homes have in their attics at 12 inches thick!! Closed-cell foam also seems to be highly effective at accoustical damping if you believe what all the sellers of Dynamat and Fatmat and so-on tell you

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010