Summit needs to do something about their shipping/handling charge

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ULTM8Z, Aug 20, 2020.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Trying to buy a ~$15 part... by the time I was ready to check out, the total was over $30 with tax and shipping.

Went and found the same part on Rock Auto. Not only was the part itself couple bucks cheaper, but the remaining charges were $3. I was out the door for just the cost of the part itself at Summit.

At least maybe make it relative to the cost of the part(s) or something like that...

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

My guess is they aren't seeing a lot of $15 at a time purchases........

3. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

So Summit was supposed to sell you a $15 Part and then eat the Shipping? Even if the part is small and could fit in a Small USPS Box ( which they don't do as they ship FedEx), it would cost them over $8 to ship.

4. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

Ah, as I mentioned earlier, my field of expertise. Made a call. Rock Auto has a facility in Azusa, California. Obviously, you're aware how close that is to LA. They also have one in San Bernardino. They don't list where their warehouses are located. I've never seen that before. I do know they ship from manufacturers facilities also.

Many factors determine the cost such as the size of the warehouse, pick/fulfillment process, ship to/from destination and so on. Not all parts are carried in one DC. If you ordered your part and the only place it was stored is in NY (One of their DCs) you'd be paying a shipping cost seeing it would be going cross country. Experienced the same. Worked for a company where we shipped parts all over the world. Anything in the continental US, free. Anywhere else in the world, WOW! But the customers wanted our product.

5. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Total coincidence. I called Year One a couple days ago to ask if I could swing by and pick up a part at the walk-up counter (since they're local). The CSR who answered was extremely polite, but informed me that the show room and walk-in retail side was still closed to the public.

I explained that I just needed a $5 dimmer switch grommet for the carpet and didn't want to have to pay $10 to have a $5 item "shipped". She asked if I had purchased with them before..."Yes ma'am, several times". She said she'd be happy to waive the shipping fees and took my payment info. Should be here by tomorrow.

They are batting 1.000 with me with the last several purchased I've made through them.

VIZ28 and f-body freak like this.
  6. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The Summit racing warehouse / Fullfilmentcenter is in Sparks Nevada near Reno which is the closest to your location and mine

7. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I ordered a switch from Ground-Up. I live 15 minutes from them, but can't pick it up either....had to ship it. As I type this, I'm wearing a Ground-Up shirt I got from one of their Open Houses. Frustrating times right now.

8. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

I gotta stick up for summit because their customer service is unbelieveable. Trust me I’ve had items show up damage or even ordered the wrong part and they ship one out and trust me to send the other back to save time without paying for the new one as an exchange

They always come through and the shipping is free if you order over a hundred I think

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Amen, took care of me on some wheels when I was in a really bad spot. Top notch people to deal with. No one bitches when they order a bunch of heavy stuff and get the free shipping.

72BIGBLOCK likes this.
  10. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Summit has gone out of their way to help me get the parts I've ordered over the last year

72BIGBLOCK likes this.