Summit needs to do something about their shipping/handling charge

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ULTM8Z, Aug 20, 2020.

1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

They overnighted a replacement set of headers for me a couple weeks ago when the set I had received had a defective weld - actually a complete lack of a weld around one of the tubes.

72BIGBLOCK likes this.
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Its their business model...you get free shipping if you spend $99. I agree though...when it comes to individual parts, they can think of something better. Most of the time, no matter how small, its likely to come UPS/Fedex/DHL however they DO use USPS time to time. When they use to charge like $7.99 for stuff under $25 and tax free, it wasn't that bad, but now stuff that's $15 will cost $10.99 to ship plus tax. Its just not worth small purchases anymore...got to shop elsewhere or bulk buy to get free shipping. With the crap going on now, its not an argument...but it use to be...buy that same part from RA (cheaper), they ship it a day or two later and you get it 3-4 days after that via USPS whereas with Summit you order it today, its in UPS hands tonight and you got it the next day or the day after. Seems anything coming USPS to me these days is 2-3X that time now.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I end up grabbing parts elsewhere, often Amazon, because of their policy.

4. badazz81z28

I have had amazing luck with "usually only online items" with Advance Auto.

carr911 likes this.
  5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
    Rock Auto is cheap, and a great resource, but god help you if you need to return or warranty something

carr911 and gramps like this.
  6. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

I know it's irritating to buy a single part and get dinged with the shipping. thats why when I need something small, I order anything I might need to get to 100 bucks, a t shirt, oil, air filter, stuff ill need anyway.
    Then after I place my order and pay for it, I realize I forgot to add a 12 dollar part in the cart that I needed. jim

f-body freak and Knuckle Dragger like this.
  7. badazz81z28

I’ll say I have been known to buy a gift card to make the total over $100

carr911 likes this.
  8. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Yeah, shipping small parts is expensive, and i have everything shipped. I usually arm myself with the part number, and just google it to see where i can get it cheapest. I cant stand paying almost as much for the shipping as the part. Ebay can be pretty good for finding sellers with free shipping. Everything i have had shipped from summit shows up really quick. I have gotten “rocked” at RA in shipping when the 3 parts u need ship from different locations.

9. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Summit has always been great to me. I keep a bunch of stuff on my Summit watchlist. I don't need any of it in 2 days, so when there is something I need from Summit, I just fill my cart to $100 to get free shipping. Doesn't take long to get to $100 anyway...

10. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

I agree with the comments of how good Summit's customer service is. I went to their Ohio facility for the 1st time in 89 or 90, I was just out of High School, to get parts for the 78 camaro I had at the time. Was a very small business back then. It has been something to watch their growth through the yrs & still focus on good customer support. You just have to spend the $100 to get the free shipping. Might find that $15 part somewhere cheaper but you won't get it tomorrow. Summit's shipping here in Ohio is very good. I live about 90mins from the Tallmadge warehouse. I've ordered as late as 10pm & still received my parts the next day...

70-camaro likes this.