Super T10 question

bnelson228

Mar 9, 2016
San Marcos TX
I'm trying to source a super t10 trans for my 79 Z28 but I'm not sure what to look for in identifying the trans. I may have found one (haven't physically seen it yet)that supposedly was pulled from a 78-80 GM, but besides the fine 27 spline input shaft and the larger 32 spline output shaft, what exactly can I use to identify a ST10 from a regular T10?

Any info, casting marks, serial #'s, websites,and physical differences in these transmissions would be greatly appreciated

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
The regular T10 was made in the 1950s and early 1960s before the Muncie existed. These would all have the smaller input and output shafts. The ST10 was made later and GM used it after they stopped making the Muncie in 1974. These ST10s have the larger output and input shafts.
Casting numbers are different and can be found on the internet for most years.

Glava

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 23, 1999
Central NY
I'm trying to source a super t10 trans for my 79 Z28 but I'm not sure what to look for in identifying the trans. I may have found one (haven't physically seen it yet)that supposedly was pulled from a 78-80 GM, but besides the fine 27 spline input shaft and the larger 32 spline output shaft, what exactly can I use to identify a ST10 from a regular T10?

Any info, casting marks, serial #'s, websites,and physical differences in these transmissions would be greatly appreciated
I see that you have the year ID information. Let me know if you need some shots of one -mine is a 79.

bnelson228

Mar 9, 2016
San Marcos TX
Went to look at the trans this morning and it turned out to be a mechanic that was closing his 5 bay shop for health reasons. Sad story actually. Anyway, it actually turned out to be TWO ST-10’s for the price of one with one being a core. The good one (1977 build aluminium case) turns out came out of a 77 Buick (Grand National?) and the core with a chowed 4th gear is actually a nodular iron case 1979 build out of a Chevy from the Van Nuys plant. I’m assuming a Camaro.

The aluminium one is very clean inside and out. But now I like the idea of having that iron case trans rebuilt....

Anyway, the Borg Warner info was exactly what I needed! Thanks guys!

Z-28 Roadracer

Aug 23, 2014
Winneconne, WI
Be sure to use the nodular mid plate that should be in 904 case trans. Confirm the cluster shaft is the big (1.000") one, you might have to bore the case out to fit. Also, use the better ratio, the warrantee claims mentioned above were due to the wider ratios being implemented for EPA mileage improvements, close ratios are more fun. The ratios are identified by the number of rings on the input shaft.

balloonpilot

May 9, 2020
I am new to the site and am looking around for information on the t10 in 79 z28.
I would really love to find production numbers for this year.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

balloonpilot

May 9, 2020
Thanks, I saw that link before but it lists the muncie trans in the break down of numbers.
I am looking for specific numbers of how many t10's were produced.

Latest posts